Speekless

Behind the Beats: STBB#609 – Kow

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:47 pm

beatmakology.eu Interview with STBB Forever Beat Battle #609 winner, Kowalzki

The Winner

Hi Kowalzki, congratulations the win!

Can you shortly introduce yourself for our readers?

Kowalzki: Hi folks, this is Kowalzki, contributing at the stones throw beat battle since round 265 on a more or less regular basis.

Where does the name Kowalzki come from?

Kowalzki: Just a project name inspired by the movie character from Vanishing Point made in 1971, strictly for STBB on Soundcloud.

How did you learn to make beats? Do you play any instruments?

Kowalzki: My first contact with electronic production was in high school. The father of a friend had a studio where we used to hang out and fool around on a planet phat from time to time, that’s how I got started.

Best thing I learned on stbb is to stick to something and finish it.

I play some drums, keyboard, bass and guitar by ear.

What Equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) did you use on this track?

Kowalzki: Made this one with Maschine and a SP-303.

What was your approach to get started?

Kowalzki: Depending on my mood, but normally I let the rules and samples sink in and start with a drum pattern. Sometimes, I just load the untouched sample into a DAW and jam along to it to flip it afterwards.

How did you make use of the sample?

Kowalzki: Picked the one with the upright piano and organ for the chops and tried to make a guitar, piano and a rhodes patch out of an electric bass sample.

How did you go about the drumwork?

Kowalzki: One of the drum samples already had that _ _ — _ _ — reggae-like rhythm so I built everything upon that till I had a 4 bar pattern, and added tom and snare rolls as transitions before the 5th and the 9th bar.

Did you stumble upon any difficulties?

Kowalzki: Not really, just had to fine tune the keys and leads a little so they would fit harmonically.

Are there any interesting aspects about the track you’d like to share?

Kowalzki: I misunderstood the rules and thought nothing outside the sample pack was allowed, so I built my own sounds.

My first win on stbb was a reggaesque track as well and this one filled up my upload time so I might close the circle, let kowalzki hit the breaks and call it a day.

Any recent projects/collabs going on?

Kowalzki: No, but make sure to check out https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection and join us at www.stbbforever.com.

Thanks for taking the time for this interview with us! Have fun picking the sample and coming up with the new rules!

Interview by Speekless for beatmakology.eu

--------------------------------------------------------

For additional content related to this interview and all things beat making head over to Beatmakology.eu - Kowalzki Interview
2 x

waxramble
GC90

Re: Kow #609 - STBB Behind the Beat Winner Interviews

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Congrats on the win Kow! Dope interview, looking forward to more here :)
0 x

TimothyNet

Behind the Beats STBB#609 – Kow

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice interview is very good knows about the players, admins, etc good choice
And 1 suggestion : maybe the next interview, can be a regular player , no admin ?? for example, Smadje??
0 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: Behind the Beats STBB#609 – Kow

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:57 am

TimothyNet wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:15 pm
Nice interview is very good knows about the players, admins, etc good choice
And 1 suggestion : maybe the next interview, can be a regular player , no admin ?? for example, Smadje??
heyy.. thanks man.. the interviewer is actually not an admin in this case.. he's a friend of stbb..
I do the interviews too being a mod but being a a member for years before that so there's really no difference..
it's more of a practical thing.. so us mods/admin are experienced with the material
and known with the beat makers
plus this way we don't have to chase after people to hand in copy.
having said that, it is good idea.
who's Smadje?

pz Joa.
0 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”