ruedenz

STBB Monthly Beat Battle #10 Home Recording Month

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:57 am

Hey all, thanks again for all the positive feedback! I really do hope I am not destroying the monthly battle with the following.... :roll:

For this monthly battle #10, I layed a little scheme with my man nbtbl.

We met today and recorded a bunch of stuff. It's basically us playing every instrument (or kitchenware, jackets, boxes...) we could find in my flat or what nbtbl the hardware geek brought with him. We can play a little everything, but cannot play anything any good. You are about to find out the hard way. Also, we kept it super raw/unedited and pretty much onetaked everything. So don't be too harsh on us. We just had 3 hours and wanted to get a lot of stuff. FOR YOU. SELFLESS ACT. THAT SHOULD COUNT FOR STH. :)

We prepared 7 folders with hopefully everything you will need.
1 misc instruments (us noodeling guitar :guitar: , piano :keyboard: , organ, ....)
2 bass (both live bass :guitar: and synth :keyboard: , also with single notes)
3 kick (synth kick and my cupboard drawer which got hit by nbtbls knee :dance: )
4 snare (banjo case, a puzzle box, and what not :!: )
5 perc (loooooots of stuff can sound like a shaker) :mic:
6 one track were we jammed a bit on a simple 2 chord thingy to get started (first one we recorded), we just had croissaints before, not that much of an energizer.
7 fx :headphone:

Rules:

- You must use something from the provided recorded samples, because...
- You may use no outside anything but vocals&voices :mic: (we did not record us singing, that would completely ruin us, we are making a fool of ourselves already here). So yes, if you find a sole vocal in a sample or get it from a sample pack or sing it yourself, yes. This includes acapellas n stuff as well. But NO KICK, NO SNARE, NO MUSICAL SAMPLE, NO NOTHING!!!! Deal with it...you got a whole month to make it work. However, there are some plain notes we played, so that you can put that in a sampler and make some melody or instrument or whatever out of it.
- If you think our samples suck (truth hurts but it would be ok) you may record something yourself. But it has to be recorded. Plug in your guitar, your grannys (not u Granny D) organ, put on a mic and record you on the drums or whatever you want. BUT DONT USE YOUR SAMPLE LIBRARY OR VSTS. IT HAS TO BE RECORDED.

To keep it a little interesting:

Special Rule: MANDATORY!!!!!
-Make 2 parts of a beat. One part should represent a more female/feminine version of your track, the other a male/masculine sounding beat. To quote Joa "without being misogynistic of course." What you make out of this rule, is completely to yourself. But do something with it.

Ok, no more time to hide it...here are the samples
https://we.tl/t-3h8FxmqRUD

Please don't hurt us.

posting deadline end of oct 30th
vote by end of nov 1st
winner post new month by end of Nov 3rd

Anything unclear? Please let me know. I am a bitt dizzy from todays work I gotta say. So shit might not make sense. Happy to clarify.

Peace. :peace:
5 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: STBB Monthly Beat Battle #10 Home Recording Month

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:29 am

Congrats RueMeister!
one to roll up the sleeves for again!
cool you used the Feminine vs. Masculine challenge I thought up :)

good luck compadres!
1 x

DetritusTabuIII

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Hey Congrats. I love the rules and appreciate the time and effort you took with them. I haven't heard them yet but I think in the past the best battles were ones kinda like this where you have to work for a sound.and beat. It keeps it fresh IMO. I'm in.
2 x

JoaGymshoe

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 pm

DetritusTabuIII wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:04 pm
Hey Congrats. I love the rules and appreciate the time and effort you took with them. I haven't heard them yet but I think in the past the best battles were ones kinda like this where you have to work for a sound.and beat. It keeps it fresh IMO. I'm in.
hear hear
0 x

YamaKozi

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Congrats ruedenz !!!
1 x

BLeS24

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:21 pm

grats ruedenz. you and nbtbl hooked it up. rules and samples. agree with DT these types of packs and challenge bring out the best flavors.
1 x

Dez nyce

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:58 pm

congrats on the win and i appreciate the samples and time it took for you guys to put them together
1 x

ruedenz

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 am

Updated the wetransfer link up top that's also in the #658:
https://we.tl/t-3h8FxmqRUD
1 x

61Beatz

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:37 am

Yo, nice idea, im a fan of beats with recorded stuff, i´ll give it a try for sure !!
1 x

Granny David

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:29 am

Great working with these samples! Thanks for these Ruedenz and Nbtbl :thumbup:

I used many of the samples. Only outside material are the vocals. I used a Diana Ross acapella for the feminine side and at the end of the track I used some parts of a Beatnuts acapella, with some 'Doo-Hah's' taken from Wu-Tang Da Mystery of Chessboxin' - this is for the masculine side, of course :salute:

More classic Granny excuses:
I've blown one of my speakers now, so I'm having to work with low grade headphones for the 'mix'.
I'm falling apart bit by bit! I'll still keep trying though, even if I've only got one tiny working button left

1 x

ruedenz

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:22 am

Just two more days til deadline!!!!
0 x

henning heftig

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 am

Hi my name is Henning but friends know me by the name of Henning Heftig. Two of those friends are ruedenz and nbtbl who also introduced me to this forum.

My first entry to this forum will be a beat based on the home recordings. I had a lot of fun doing it although it cost me quite a lot of nerves, energy and time as I'm not too skilled in working with samples haha. Anyway, here's the end result and I'm looking forward to posting more in the future!

1 x

JoaGymshoe

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:22 pm

I saw your notification rue and went like, oh shit!
threw this together in 4 hours..start to finish.. and I might be happier with it than tracks I've slaved over for days!
male vs. female to be found in the rap delivery and tone.

1 x

DetritusTabuIII

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:14 pm

Hey All, I went with an old song from the 1870's made famous by Kurt Cobain who heard it from Leadbelly. I made the vocal the male /female part since it is actually a call and response between a couple but one or both may be dead at the time.There is decapitation and a missing body so great for the season. Again congrats Rue and great work with the samples and rules.

Peace, Hugh
1 x

ruedenz

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:22 am

Hey y'all, big thanks and shoutout to everyone who participated (and might still participate ;) *THUMBS UP* :thumbup: ). From what I heard so far you produced some R E A L - C R A Z Y stuff. I honestly cannot believe you managed to do that out of those shitty samples that have been provided....not to get emotional and all, but nearly anyone can make a decent beat with a great soul sample and some drum hits/loops or whatever. But taking a very restrictive sample base and do something wonderful with it, well, that's truly amazing.
Salute, you're all winners in my opinion! Much love. :vulcan: :peace:

Here is my take on it. To be honest I was kinda bummed out about the male/female thing (and I can just blame myself...shoot :mrgreen: ). I feel I gave all my creativity for that in the weekly battle. Now I pretty much went with male and female acapella. On a side note though, I put a little thought in it...the first one is about ladies (well, actually not really, but u know it & u get it), and the beat is more chill, and the second one a great female rap & is a little more aggressive. Beat wise the opposite from what I did for #658.

Excited to hear every post in detail!

So long.
0 x

Return to “Monthly Beat Battle”