Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:58 am

First time here, very excited.

Hope I uploaded it as intended.

Thanks!
2 x

DetritusTabuIII

Re: STBB Monthly Beat Battle #09 Pink Floyd Month

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Hey All, Oh why must I always destroy the things I love? I tried so many things but went with this combo of a few of the many things i tried. I really like having more time to work on ideas in this monthly beat battle. Hope to see many more tracks submitted before the deadline and look forward to checking them out.

Peace, Hugh
1 x

Granny David

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 am

Didn't quite manage 7/4 to 4/4. I think it's more like 5/3 to 185/0 to 3.1/11 possibly?

Great fun with the samples anyway :blunted:

I sampled 'Comfortably Numb' for the first part of the track. For the second part I separated the left and right channels on 'Money' and found that the guitar solo only sounds through the Left channel, and the keys on the Right channel. So I used the Right channel for the keys and put it in stereo :headphone: :keyboard:

1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 am

1 x

ruedenz

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Glad to see the monthly battles getting more recognition!
-> Dope ruleset Hugh, really loved all the challenges (hated them too a bit, but that's part of it!). I really took some time for this beat (it was much needed).

So there is this underwater-clocksounding fx percussion that I played almost all the way through. Picked a DG guitar solo that fitted the harmonies of my main sample. Also played a bit of guitar at the end myself. Speaking of the end...there is some 7/4 action going on. Man that cost some nerves. Lots of sprinkles, pianos, synths, FX, bass, vocal skits, and what not. Not sure if it's pleasant to listen to, but making this beat has been the most fun in a long time.

1 x

BLeS24

Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 pm

0 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:47 am

ruedenz wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am
Glad to see the monthly battles getting more recognition!
-> Dope ruleset Hugh, really loved all the challenges (hated them too a bit, but that's part of it!). I really took some time for this beat (it was much needed).

So there is this underwater-clocksounding fx percussion that I played almost all the way through. Picked a DG guitar solo that fitted the harmonies of my main sample. Also played a bit of guitar at the end myself. Speaking of the end...there is some 7/4 action going on. Man that cost some nerves. Lots of sprinkles, pianos, synths, FX, bass, vocal skits, and what not. Not sure if it's pleasant to listen to, but making this beat has been the most fun in a long time.
man.. on the planning time to make a beat:
I started straight away and basically had what you hear now on the first day.. barring the spacious mix.. did that yesterday.
listened to it every once in a while but didn't get any inspiration for the arrangement or transitions.
when that crazy mix emerged yesterday I wished I'd have found more interesting ideas for a better structure etc.
these monthlies for some reason don't get the best outta me..
weeklies sorta do I suppose.. but often woulda liked to have a couple of days to let it rest and make improvements
which I still do sometimes in the weeks after.

0 x

BLeS24

Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:15 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:47 am
man.. on the planning time to make a beat:
I started straight away and basically had what you hear now on the first day.. barring the spacious mix.. did that yesterday.
listened to it every once in a while but didn't get any inspiration for the arrangement or transitions.
when that crazy mix emerged yesterday I wished I'd have found more interesting ideas for a better structure etc.
these monthlies for some reason don't get the best outta me..
weeklies sorta do I suppose.. but often woulda liked to have a couple of days to let it rest and make improvements
which I still do sometimes in the weeks after.

i think i spent more time on weekly this week than the monthly... to me seems having the month makes me less hesitant to put concepts to the side and work on weekly or other projects. end up not coming back until i'm like oh shit monthly deadline coming up this week... and still focus on that weeks battle more than monthly for whatever reason. have started something for every monthly and think have only entered 3 or 4.

i never feel like i have enough time though. why i'm always posting last minute :D

hoping monthly starts picking up traction. that weekly fire needs to spread.
1 x

Return to “Monthly Beat Battle”