super_sen

Putting up sample-based music on Spotify

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:03 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get your thoughts and experiences on how to put up music that is sample-heavy on spotify. All my music is full of stuff (especially in the beat battles section) that is full of stuff I have no official clearance on. We share our work on soundcloud and that's cool but I would like to extend it to a broader audience without the chance of getting my ass sued.

Cheers
S
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Re: Putting up sample-based music on Spotify

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:51 am

It's funny because Playboi Carti leaks got uploaded a ton by random people to Spotify and they got millions of plays :lol:- So I wonder how closely they monitor the sample clearance stuff. Unless you're blowing up, I'd imagine it would still fly under the radar a bit? A ton of Madlib's old stuff I gotta assume he never cleared and it can be found on there I'd guess ha

These days as long as you pay attention to e-mails/letters that were sent if someone wanted their stuff taken down, I'd probably just take the song offline rather than try to fight it.

I'm totally not a lawyer though so don't quote me here :mrgreen:
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:33 pm

yea man.. just put it up.. you'll find out when it's so dope they want royalties! :)
0 x

B-Jam vs Enos

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 am

Don't worry about it, there's many thousands of beatmakers doing it without issue. 8-) As said, only tracks that really blow up may having issue with someone coming knocking regarding sample clearance.
0 x

WeGrowWax

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 am

Well...95% of our releases are sample based;] I think that clarifies it pretty well hehe. From my experience..if sample is flipped properly + there is something else added in, there is no issue. I'd say the majority of music producers nowadays sneak in a sample into their tracks. This adds the soul.
1 x

Return to “Producers”