waxramble
GC90

Re: Apparently DOOM & Madlib have 3-4 unreleased albums

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 pm

My tinfoil hat conspiracy:

I noticed that the trademark for 'Madvillain' is owned by Madlib/DOOM (Interesting enough, the lawyer is Stacy Epps of 'Eye') https://trademarks.justia.com/866/78/ma ... 78917.html

Madlib followed Egon when he had a falling out at Stones Throw

I can't find an example now.. but when Rappcats put out that new Madvillain figure with the 'Avalanche' 7" -- The Youtube upload was eventually taken down via copyright strike by Stones Throw

I think Stones Throw is sitting on a ton of Madvillain recordings - but they can't release it as 'Madvillain' because the trademark is owned by Madlib. Madlib/DOOM probably want to release some of the music, but it's being held hostage by Stones Throw. It's a checkmate.. sorta -- I still think anything new that they record together that doesn't have an association to Stones Throw could be released, but the later sessions of collaboration he describes I wonder if that occurred before all shit that went down at ST when everyone started splitting. Also, maybe there is some weird contractual issue that would prevent the two from working together?

This is why I never think we'll see a true 'Madvillain 2' - or if we do someday it will be newer material released through Rappcats etc - no ST involvement is my guess

Like I said, just my little conspiracy formed when I found out about that trademark lol

0 x

grifty_p

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 pm

why would stones throw own the rights to the music? the only reasons i could think of are A. it was recorded on their equipment, under contract, or B. "madvillain" as an artist was signed to a multi-album deal through stones throw. neither really seem likely though?
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Given how controlling PBW is - which is why I suspect Egon and crew left, I'm guessing there is some sorta contract shenanigans. This is why Avalanche was pulled down, I wish I had taken a screen shot back in the day that it did show Stones Throw as the one taking down. Notice the page for the figure in the store is also removed - http://www.rappcats.com/shop/madvillain-figure/

I'm hopeful they'll figure out something someday
0 x

B-Jam vs Enos

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 pm

waxramble wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 pm
My tinfoil hat conspiracy:

I noticed that the trademark for 'Madvillain' is owned by Madlib/DOOM (Interesting enough, the lawyer is Stacy Epps of 'Eye') https://trademarks.justia.com/866/78/ma ... 78917.html

Madlib followed Egon when he had a falling out at Stones Throw

I can't find an example now.. but when Rappcats put out that new Madvillain figure with the 'Avalanche' 7" -- The Youtube upload was eventually taken down via copyright strike by Stones Throw

I think Stones Throw is sitting on a ton of Madvillain recordings - but they can't release it as 'Madvillain' because the trademark is owned by Madlib. Madlib/DOOM probably want to release some of the music, but it's being held hostage by Stones Throw. It's a checkmate.. sorta -- I still think anything new that they record together that doesn't have an association to Stones Throw could be released, but the later sessions of collaboration he describes I wonder if that occurred before all shit that went down at ST when everyone started splitting. Also, maybe there is some weird contractual issue that would prevent the two from working together?

This is why I never think we'll see a true 'Madvillain 2' - or if we do someday it will be newer material released through Rappcats etc - no ST involvement is my guess

Like I said, just my little conspiracy formed when I found out about that trademark lol

Funny you should say that as look what just came out yesterday...

0 x

waxramble
GC90

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Haha, that's not the MV2 we're waiting for (Although I always enjoyed this release too! Some really great interludes too)

This is one from awhile back :)
0 x

B-Jam vs Enos

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:26 pm

waxramble wrote:
Haha, that's not the MV2 we're waiting for (Although I always enjoyed this release too! Some really great interludes too)

I knew it wasn't MV2 but I wasn't aware it actually came out in 2008. Maybe it's now out of contract with Stones Throw, hence why Madlib is putting it up on his BC to maybe earn a few more bucks of it?
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:55 pm

B-Jam vs Enos wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:26 pm
waxramble wrote:

I knew it wasn't MV2 but I wasn't aware it actually came out in 2008. Maybe it's now out of contract with Stones Throw, hence why Madlib is putting it up on his BC to maybe earn a few more bucks of it?
Oh nah, that Madlib BC page is still run by ST - I got that copy of MV2 in my Stones Throw BC Subscription the other day. They're just putting up some backcatalog stuff for those subscribed + make available on BC (Which is super appreciated, wish more labels would move to BC for those sweet lossless files on purchase haha)
0 x

Return to “Chat”