waxramble
GC90

2018 Albums of the Year

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

That time of the year, what are some of your guys' picks for the year? This is always a tough call for me, but here are some standouts from the year :)

1. Trouble - Edgewood: Ok so I know this might be too commercial/seem typical trap sound for this board but this one was severely underrated imo (Like barely any press/reviews outside of the Drake single). Mike Will Made-It has been doing some great production lately like his stuff on DAMN and this thing -- Never listened to Trouble much before but out of all these recent Atlanta dudes blowing up now I think he's better than them all. Kept coming back to this one way more than I would have expected this year lol

2. Ross from Friends - Family Portrait: Really great electronic release from Brainfeeder, don't let the cheesy artist name fool ya -- This is some good shit! I'm linking to my favorite Thank God I'm a Lizard (This was stuck in my head forever this year) but it's also worth checking the vid for Pale Blue Dot -- Music vid from his parents old video tapes of them traveling Europe a long time ago doing these oldschool electronic parties/etc

3. Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of: Another electronic, dunno how many listen to OPN here but this is def a new area for him doing some vocals -- while not every vocal track was amazing, I think it's cool to see an artist like him go beyond what is probably his comfort zone of staying behind the scenes. It didn't come out this year, but the soundtrack for the movie Good Time he did is amazing and has been my early morning ride to work music on/off this year. David Rudnick who did a lot of the art direction for the booklet / video is also def awesome and you should check it out.

4. Jerry Paper - Like a Baby: I seriously don't think I would have given this one a chance based on it's cover... this dude looks like such a hipster and crap but fortunately it's part of my ST Bandcamp subscription. This record is really really good -- One of the better releases from Stones Throw this year (They actually put out quite a few good records this year I think!). Again, the video is fucking weird but Grey Area is a nice one, love the vocals from Charlotte Day Wilson here too

5. Paul White - Rejuvenate: If you were to ask me what my dream combo would be for a record a few years ago, I would have said a Paul White produced Danny Brown record -- Amazing enough, that did come out with Atrocity Exhibition (Easily my favorite album last year and probably one of my favorite rap records of this decade) -- With this new album from Paul White he's def gone a completely different direction from those dark/insane beats (come on, the album was called Atrocity Exhibition lol) to a more 'rejuvenated' sound haha. PW is seriously one of the most underrated producers right now, nobody sounds like this dude and he can do stuff for any mood. Some really pleasant sounds on this one, especially enjoy the feature from his sister on a couple tracks!

Tons of other good music put out this year, really curious about what you guys were digging :)

1 x

BettyChopper

Re: 2018 Albums of the Year

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm

I gotta go with Mac Miller's "Swimming" on this one.... Would like to say that I would feel this way regardless of his untimely passing. I know it's not a traditional Hip Hop album but it's absolutely beautiful and I'd say his masterpiece... Sure wish we could have seen what was to come...
I saw it's nominated for Grammy which I would love to see happen but Pusha-T killed it with Daytona and that's on almost every list I see... Never was a big Pusha fan but got to give it to him.. Great Album....
Aside from Grammys and all that Jazz, Evidence made a solid project with "Weather or Not" ... If you haven't heard it.... DO yourself a favor and cop it! It's dope AF and got that old school feel to it....
Honestly it was a year of great albums and I've got a running list going of those I missed (Slept on The Internet's album and hear it's fantastic. WIll be getting to that one, among others, soon. I'll report back as I know all will be holding their breaths.. I JOKE!! LOL )
If you haven't heard Yugen Blackrok (outside of Black Panther record - she's on Opps with Vince Staples) She is a must listen! If i'm not mistaken, she's realeasing something in early 2019 and I am looking forward to it.... And of course the clever, sly, tripped out, hard hitting, genius - Schoolboy Q... Sorry, that's my jam at the moment... Cannot get off of his last (or previous) and am probably driving everyone around me crazy!
1 x

BettyChopper

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 pm

waxramble wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm
Tons of other good music put out this year, really curious about what you guys were digging
Adding your suggestions to the list! IT's getting longer by the day.. I'm gonna spend all of 2019 catching up on all I missed in 2018... LMAO!
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 pm

BettyChopper wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm
I gotta go with Mac Miller's "Swimming" on this one.... Would like to say that I would feel this way regardless of his untimely passing. I know it's not a traditional Hip Hop album but it's absolutely beautiful and I'd say his masterpiece... Sure wish we could have seen what was to come...
I saw it's nominated for Grammy which I would love to see happen but Pusha-T killed it with Daytona and that's on almost every list I see... Never was a big Pusha fan but got to give it to him.. Great Album....
Aside from Grammys and all that Jazz, Evidence made a solid project with "Weather or Not" ... If you haven't heard it.... DO yourself a favor and cop it! It's dope AF and got that old school feel to it....
Honestly it was a year of great albums and I've got a running list going of those I missed (Slept on The Internet's album and hear it's fantastic. WIll be getting to that one, among others, soon. I'll report back as I know all will be holding their breaths.. I JOKE!! LOL )
If you haven't heard Yugen Blackrok (outside of Black Panther record - she's on Opps with Vince Staples) She is a must listen! If i'm not mistaken, she's realeasing something in early 2019 and I am looking forward to it.... And of course the clever, sly, tripped out, hard hitting, genius - Schoolboy Q... Sorry, that's my jam at the moment... Cannot get off of his last (or previous) and am probably driving everyone around me crazy!
YamaKozi put me on to that new Evidence was really digging that one, Evidence is the man

Daytona def one of my favorite records of the year too, probably could have been anywhere in 2-5 really. That Kanye/Push track near the end is so good

The Internet's new album is good, I think I liked Ego Death a little more but some nice tracks on new one.

It's funny that Opps track one was sorta meh (I think mostly didn't care for the production) but this track I found on YT is dope. Black Panther soundtrack was great though, that SOB x RBE track is a jam (and X too)

Will keep an eye out for more in 2019

Dunno if you listen to Joey Purp but his new one was slept on a bit too

0 x

BettyChopper

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 pm

waxramble wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 pm
Will keep an eye out for more in 2019
If you haven't found already, Check out ANIMA MYSTERIUM - Carbon Form comes from this... it's preorder only at the moment.

Stumbled upon this a little while back and OMG!!

0 x

Dj Joey Joe

My Top 10 2018 Albums Of The Year

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 pm

My list isn't in any type of order, just ten albums I liked that came out this year, that had replay value, there was a few others that I liked but after one or two listens, I was over it.

Borvoe McMidnite & Khoi Kidd "Fabergé"

Al Davino & Estee Mack "Destiny"

Flashius Clayton[/color] "Wolf Moon"

Noveliss "Cerebral Apex"

Billy Gibbons "Big Bad Blues"

Steve Spacek "Natural Sci-Fi"

Moods "Zone Out"

Mikazuki Bigwave "Waves EP" (even though it says EP, it has 13 songs on it)

Waajeed "From The Dirt"

BMB Spacekid "Funkella 2.0"
1 x

TimothyNet

2018 Albums of the Year

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 am

Taken a while but the Everything Everything album has really grown on me. Therell always be a Marmite element to them with the vocal style, and I do prefer it in bits rather than start to finish... But still well worth a listen.

Anyone got the Foals or Maccabees albums? Next on my list.
0 x

Return to “Music”