STBB
STBB Wins: :ugeek:

STBB Beat Battle Rules & Guidelines

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Weekly Beat Battles at the STBB Forever Forum

Anyone can participate.

Each Friday evening/night a sample and set of rules is posted in the Beat Battles forum.
Make a beat using the sample, and post it on the forum by:
Thursday 15:00 CET Central European Time / 06:00 PST Pacific Standard Time.
Submission are eligible till the vote thread goes up.. usually at ^^.. or after this time.
Vote by: Friday 21:00 CET / Friday noon PST.
The winner chooses the sample and sets rules for the next battle.
Please post new week by the deadline: Saturday 09:00 CET / Friday midnight PST else a moderator or anyone who feels obliged will do it.
Your participation and feedback is valued.

HOW IT WORKS:

• Join the STBB Forever Forum
• Download the sample from the latest thread on the Beat Battles forum.
• Post your beat on Soundcloud, with the tag and title STBB### (using the number of the current Beat Battle)
• Post your beat (by pasting your beat's Soundcloud URL/Share button Code ) on the latest Beat Battle by Wednesday Midnight Pacific time/ Thursday 09:00 CET.
• Voting starts on the Beat Battlesforum after the Votethread is started.
• Winner posts next week's new Sample & Rules by Friday noon Pacific/ 09:00 Sat. CET.

DEFAULT RULES:

The winner of the previous week's battle is required set the rules.
if one can't do so: have a sample and rule set ready on forehand or don't enter.
Here are the default rules:

• Flip the chosen sample any way you want.
• Allowed: outside drums and bass, vocal shots, cuts/scratches, fx like crackle etc.
own recorded and/or played vocals, acapellas, instruments and synths
• ^^ Basically everything unless the winner/week starter states otherwise in the brief.
• One entry per person - when collabing that counts as their one entry for all who are in on that.
- extra entries are allowed but must be labelled "Non-entry" in the track title.
- entries posted after the deadline must be labelled as 'late entry' in the track title.

NOTES:

• Only beats that adhere to the rules and that are labelled correctly get reposted and added to the playlist.
• Please don't make significant rule/sample changes to be made after posting. Clarifying, yes.
• The winner has the final say on entries being legit or not based on the rules provided.
• Beats that are the same as another entry but with or without aca won't be reposted.

- Nelson Mandela collab Week
This has been a yearly returning special rule since the week he passed away on december fifth 2013 ~ R.I.P. Nelson Mandela.

VOTING:

Voting takes place in a separate thread for each Beat Battle.
*You can vote if you have entered the battles before, or if you have a post count of 5+.
*Fanboy/suspicious votes will be disallowed - this rule will be applied when deemed necessary

• Votes must be in by Friday 21:00 CET / Friday noon PST.
• Vote 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for 5, 3, 1 points respectively.
• Don't vote for yourself.
• Make your votes easy to read using BOLD, BIG FONTS and Crazy Colors.
• Must vote to be eligible for the win.
• Votes will be counted and result will be announced by a Moderator / Any member.
• Votes for non-entries will be disregarded. If additional places have been awarded the votes will scoot up.
• collabs need only one vote

Reposting and adding to Playlist on STBB Collection:

• This is done for easy listening sake and has no direct bearing on the STBB Forever Battles.
• If your track is a legitemate entry and has been missed by the moderators you can post in the round or vote thread and it will get picked up, or else message:

https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe
https://soundcloud.com/waxramble
https://soundcloud.com/grannydavid

*rules may be subject to change over time. all suggestions welcome.
*posts deemed unfit can be removed by mods.

updated Feb 2nd 2024
2 x

metadepth

Re: Beat Battle & Default Ruleset

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:07 pm

site looks great! love the stbb radio embed on the right side. honestly this just seems like a natural evolution and has all the potential to be even better than it ever was now that you guys own the web property. much thanks for the dedication.
2 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: Guidelines & Default Ruleset

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:37 am

1 x

MOXATRON

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 am

Yes Bro! Site looks awesome, great work I'm having a little browse now.
So hopefully the winner will post the next sample in a new thread on this lovely new site! yes?
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 am

yes fellas! ^^
and yes.. he/ she will bro..
thanks!
0 x

dtunez

Re: STBB Beat Battle Rules & Guidelines

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:15 am

I'm glad I found you guys. What a shame! Let's battle on.
1 x

grifty_p

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 pm

hey dudes.... so i have a question..... is there some reason the battles always end on wednesday? i always get my inspiration together on friday nights and saturday mornings. i actually have fridays off from work. but there's never a battle i can work on because it's still in voting. wouldn't like tuesday-saturday w/voting sunday+monday be better for people?
0 x

HeavyDrama

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:55 pm

grifty_p wrote:
hey dudes.... so i have a question..... is there some reason the battles always end on wednesday? i always get my inspiration together on friday nights and saturday mornings. i actually have fridays off from work. but there's never a battle i can work on because it's still in voting. wouldn't like tuesday-saturday w/voting sunday+monday be better for people?
You been here longer than most you tell us?

I would assume the original idea was based on most people on the planet working mon-fri with weekends off.
Sat-Weds is 5 days to make a joint with two days voting.
Voting on a Sunday would be a waste of a day off for the majority of folks, but I could be wrong...

Fitting the time in to get the beat done is also part of the challenge...at least it was for me.

Maybe join one of the Side Battles or start one with your preferred timings.
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 pm

Being newer to voting in Beat Battles, for late entries are those still allowed to be voted on? I'm assuming not, but just wanted to see if that was the case (Probably a dumb question, sorry guys lol)
grifty_p wrote:
I feel ya on this, I know there is some discussion with folks about doing a monthly side battle which might scratch the itch when it is a little hard to keep up on the weekly side of things some weeks. Some discussion on setting this up starting 2019 consistently, keep an eye out on that board :)
0 x

grifty_p

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 am

HeavyDrama wrote:
Voting on a Sunday would be a waste of a day off for the majority of folks, but I could be wrong...
You're totally right. How about Wed-Sunday with voting Monday+Tuesday?
0 x

B-Jam vs Enos

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:07 pm

grifty_p wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 am
HeavyDrama wrote:
You're totally right. How about Wed-Sunday with voting Monday+Tuesday?
No use for me, i'm not around Monday/Tuesday.

As it is everything can be done at the weekend. That's what suits most people so I very much doubt many people here would want to change it. :)

As HeavyDrama said above though, there might be some month long battles next year so hopefully they suit you better. I know i'd like to take part in them and not have to bang out a track in a day like I currently do since I only really have the Sunday to work. :D
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:19 pm

hi Grifty..changing the schedule after ten years would take some doing.
Thinking of some ideas that could free up the Friday evening..
0 x

grifty_p

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:41 pm

lol i've barely battled in years i'm just spitballing with yall. don't change shit on my account, just wondering out loud if it might be better for some dudes?
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:48 pm

grifty_p wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:41 pm
lol i've barely battled in years i'm just spitballing with yall. don't change shit on my account, just wondering out loud if it might be better for some dudes?
yeah man..
just thinking with..
a lotta saturday mornings to afternoons and even evenings get wasted waiting ( especially for us Europeans )
on winners to post
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:25 pm

EXAMPLE Battle Formatting - Easy to copy/paste when creating your own battle -- Simply quote this post and copy the code below this line and paste into your new thread!

SAMPLE
https://wetransfer.com/

RULES
- Time limit between 1-3 minutes

- Outside drums and bass allowed/not allowed

- Outside keys/synths/instruments are allowed/allowed

- Outside samples not allowed/not allowed

- Outside vocal cuts/skits/scratches/fx allowed/allowed

- Acapellas allowed/not allowed

The Fine Print:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB ###“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Thursday 15:00 CET Central European Time / 06:00 PST Pacific Standard Time
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday 21:00 CET / Friday noon PST
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: https://wetransfer.com/
0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”