per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Re: STBB #709

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:20 pm

lol kenny beats just used the same "duck playing drums" sample (the one we had last week) in his beatbattle. if we only knew we could have all submitted there D:

2 x

MOXATRON

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 am

Yo what's good people?
So one of my favourite produces is EL-P and after watching his Rhythm Roulette many times... ;) Let's try and copy his style.? :P

So, a break down of my beat, I chopped both of the samples up, made 48 in total. ( even though I end up using only 4 of them! :( :? ) mostly loops. some of the drums and some other single sounds.
Messed around with loops and tempo.. found 68 bpm was working for the loops. 8-)
Put down a simple drum and clap pattern from the samples.

I then got a drum kit that I put together earlier this year under the save name Boom Bap..
Found some Heavy sounding drums and claps I liked, put in a drum pattern. :drum:

The loop thing wasn't working for me too much. Added some Filters/ phasers and and another Filter. Much better... 8-) :lol:
Added some single sounds from the sample in a 1/16 pattern. Sounding nice.

Bass time, used the Vst ES2 in Logic 8. With some Divine Bass. Played around with the notes until I found some nice notes.
Finally added some vocal chops from his Rhythm Roulette. :geek:

Bounced all the midi to Audio tracks, adjusted the levels, added some EQ's and multiprocessor on the Main Output.

:salute: :vulcan: :peace: :blunted:
Peace. Mox.
1 x

Crufro

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:33 am

Dibia$e inspired beat. He really pushes and pulls his samples. Wonky effects and chops. Heavy drum work. Tried my best to replicate the vibe.
I learned that a lot more goes into his productions then I originally thought. The guy's mixing is masterful. It's a tough act to follow.

1 x

The DTs

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Hey All, Congrats SS!
Cheers to my good friend Darren in Matsumoto who turned me on to a lot of cool music around the turn of the century. First and foremost was Autechre. Discovering them was like a whole new universe opened up to me. I finally got to see them live a few year back and damn was it a great show except I got cramps in my both legs big time and had to take a seat. If you know them this might sound kinda like something they might have done when they were very drunk.

Here is an old school hip hop mix they did if anybody wanted to check it out. They old men with young souls like myself.

Peace, Hugh
0 x

MOXATRON

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:06 pm

Yo!
I had to cook up another beat. ;) Couldn't let them chops go to waste.... :lol:
I like a lot of different producers but always find Cooking Souls videos real cool and interesting.
So here is my attempt at copying Cooking Soul's style of beat. :hmm:

Just used the sample, played around with my chops found some nice parts to loop, and added some drums and EQ's and compressors.

:salute: :vulcan: :peace:
Peace Mox.
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:45 pm

Damn, you guys are all nailing this one! Love the rule for this week's battle, lots of fun ones here (especially loving that knx style beat above!)
1 x

popek

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 am

Yo, I chose to replicate MF DOOM's style on this one. I started off with slicing bass notes and used lots of syncopated trimmed snares. Maybe the vocal sample doesn't fit his style too much, but still hope you can hear his influence :hmm:

0 x

solermsc

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 am

Kenny Segal is my man of the moment, so had him in mind when making this.
Used the kick from the second sample and various other chops. Pitched those down and added filters. Made 3 different 8 bar loops. Took a wee vocal stab from the first sample, and played that at the end. Tried to get hte hats sounding fast and scittery over a slow kick and snare.
Fun week, but don't know how successful ive been.
0 x

cascassette

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:24 pm

0 x

theGoodMusic

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:07 pm

:mic: Hello, everyone !

:music: This battle threw me back to Kanye's first albums which made me fall in love with music even more.
I chopped, i stretched and pitched a lot :D massed around with small pieces of sample that i threw in the mix. Used some perc and 1 vox fx to make it sound more like ye style.
Hope you'll like it !

P.S. i made use of both audio materials cos i loved them both :D

:headphone:
1 x

super_sen

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Unfortunately I didn´t have much time this week. Here´s my "Just Blaze" Type Beat, he´s definitely created some of my favorite beats ever.

I noted:
- dynamic chops
- rather realistic, simple but punchy drums
- subtle drum fills
- I layered the vocal as a 2nd sample over the main chops for the second part as some kind of hook
- simple sine bassline to support the sample

0 x

SIL'DANTE
STBB Wins: 3

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Apollo Brown is one of my current fav producers and I wanted to pay tribute to him with this one.

I mainly used the first sample, cutting multiple chops and playing with attack and release trying to give this bouncy feeling Apollo masters so well.
Then, I added a tambourine and micro-chops from the Charlene PM sample for the chorus.
And of course, it wouldn't have been an Apollo Brown type beat without a vinyl cracklin' in the back ;) .

1 x

TrakMakesDaBeats

Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:40 pm

I liked both of the samples I went with the second one
And warped the second verse on some The Heatmakerz type beat really the first producers that inspired me to sample
The mix is kinda ugly but it was something quick hope y'all enjoy and good luck
0 x

tembo

Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 pm

This is a tribute to Galimatias. This has been my favorite artist for two years now. I cannot explain to you how much his music has inspired me to think outside the box. The uniqueness and attention to detail is unparalleled. He just dropped his first full length album, Renaissance boy a few weeks ago. Listen to it, you will not be disappointed.

0 x

Jonah503

Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 pm

My favorite always has to be Premo! Took a bunch of chops from both samples, and layered the drums from one under some other stuff. Then I tried to do that style of bassline and added a bunch of scratches.

0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”