HeavyDrama

ROLAND SP-404 MKII + general SP appreciation thread

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 am

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm sure you've all seen this by now but if you haven't here it is... and it would be good to have a sp thread on this board.

OK few questions for this thread.

1. Who doesn't have at least one SP sampler?
2. For those who do have at least one please share any stories, tips, pics, beat tapes, beats or just any love for the sp series?
3. Thoughts on the MKII and are you buying one?

Take my money.
3 x

MELDZ
STBB Wins: 1

Re: ROLAND SP-404 MKII + general SP appreciation thread

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 am

Yeah. Copped a 404A about a year and a half ago, would of got an SX but.....JAPAN...nah

Glad that Roland have actually engaged with the huge amount of people using these units (404day etc) and fed all that back into this new one...

I would get the MKII altho i'd like to know if i can sync my A with it and obviously we are all waiting for a full review.

I'm in the UK so have no idea what the retail price will be, i hope its in line with the previous SP's
2 x

HeavyDrama

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:35 pm

MELDZ wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 am
Yeah. Copped a 404A about a year and a half ago, would of got an SX but.....JAPAN...nah

Glad that Roland have actually engaged with the huge amount of people using these units (404day etc) and fed all that back into this new one...

I would get the MKII altho i'd like to know if i can sync my A with it and obviously we are all waiting for a full review.

I'm in the UK so have no idea what the retail price will be, i hope its in line with the previous SP's
Nice congrats on the purchase. I need to check out your beats see how you've been using the A.
I've got a 303, 505 and og 404 (pic of set up in next post). Having those 3 especially the 505 the SX was kinda underwhelming to me, the A basically the same thing.

Sync over midi should be fine but from what I've seen so far I can see myself using this standalone without anything else.

You're right this new joint feels like everything I've wanted without turning it into a tablet with buttons like the newer mpcs. I thought if they ever refreshed the sp they'd turn the whole led screen and dedicated fx button area into one phone sized touchscreen...that would have put me off but this seems like the perfect compromise for me.

Loads of in depth videos already. They've done it like most of the products over recent years where all the youtube cats have had it for a while then drop the vids all on one day. There's some long arse vids here but I'll list a few tutorial style and first impressions. but OG Roland head Mike Acosta has easy to the point vid.

UK here as well so price wise I've seen $500 street price on several news articles but that would make a direct exchange for us £366 which I'm pretty sure is way too cheap.
Seen it pre-order listed for £439 on Gear4music and Music Matter apparently shipping in November.

From everything I've seen my GAS levels are at peak intensity.
100% copping this.

Edited post: to get more to the point
2 x

HeavyDrama

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Share your SP set ups...let's go!

these are usually facing the opposite direction where they're hooked up to the decks and mixer with lines to pc, rack etc
the ubiquitous ikea kallax cubes lol

edit: having watched a load of the vids above this picture looking like a retirement party
2 x

Danswift

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:30 am

Long term SP user here ..got the Roland MS-1 then OG SP -808 and 808-EX when first released..fast forward to the present day where I'm using the SP 808 EX ,SP-404 OG,SP-404 SX & SP-303.

Not been too caught up in the hype for the MK 2 but can completely understand others enthusiasm for this ..I'm not exactly in the need for another SP just now anyway but I'll definitely be checking this thing out regardless.

The specs are very dope though ..it looks like a fantastic machine,been way too long coming so it's great to see these upgrades and new features being implemented at last.

Here's some of my gear.

And live SP beats and stuff on SoundCloud & Bandcamp.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257
1 x

Return to “Producers”