jfhdot

Bro These New Earl Sweatshirt Beats...

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 pm

this shit is amazing for any fans of abstract hip-hop and weird lo-fi samples.
it's really blowing me away -- i'm not much of an Earl fan, slept on his last project entirely cause i didn't really like the single. listened to Doris like once or twice but it was extremely underwhelming imo. of course i've heard Earl but even that tape doesn't age as well as you might have thought back in 2010.

anyway, i just want to speak from the perspective of someone who isn't an Earl stan but loves weird, experimental, dense shit (when done right)...cause this album is exactly that.

the beats consist of things like half-bar or 16 bar loops, 5/4 patterns, widely varying tempos and drum patterns, and some expertly executed beat-stitching in the style of The Madlib that we've all come to know and love.

it's something old mixed in with something new, and it's super refreshing to hear Earl fall down the rabbit hole like this.

highly recommended. there's several unknown producers on this too, which i thought was interesting.
1 x

ruedenz

Re: Bro These New Earl Sweatshirt Beats...

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:30 am

you mean "some rap songs" right?
0 x

jfhdot

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:29 am

yes. i saw someone online refer to it as "Earl Sweatshirt - Sadvillainy"

...and yeah, that's pretty accurate.
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to this whole thing properly, but it's funny from the production end I actually liked his last one quite a bit more.. at least on first listen. Did Earl produce this record? I believe the last one was all him -- you should really go back to that one when you have a chance! I will certainly be giving this new record a full listen soon, I've just been having a hard time getting into it after the first couple songs lol

Also, good to seeya around JF :)
2 x

The Wig Master

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 am

I've been saying the exact same thing. never been an earl fan but this is my favorite record of 2018 (one of the strongest hip-hop years in the last decade). I don't really hear much madvillain in it though
0 x

NocomplySoldier

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm

waxramble wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm
I haven't gotten a chance to listen to this whole thing properly, but it's funny from the production end I actually liked his last one quite a bit more.. at least on first listen. Did Earl produce this record? I believe the last one was all him -- you should really go back to that one when you have a chance! I will certainly be giving this new record a full listen soon, I've just been having a hard time getting into it after the first couple songs lol

Also, good to seeya around JF :)
Sorry to bud in, but I'm a huge ES fan and I can't get into this new Earl album. IMO it's str8 trash. Merely spoken word... I'm really kinda heartbroken about it tbh. All in ma feelings and shish... Seriously. He truly let me down that much.
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 pm

NocomplySoldier wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Sorry to bud in, but I'm a huge ES fan and I can't get into this new Earl album. IMO it's str8 trash. Merely spoken word... I'm really kinda heartbroken about it tbh. All in ma feelings and shish... Seriously. He truly let me down that much.
Hahaha

I dunno if I'd call it trash but I've tried giving it a try a few more times and still can't get myself through the full thing. What did you think of his last record?

I thought Doris had some good tracks, but was just too sorta commercial for his sound (That RZA track is straight up cringeworthy). I don't go outside was excellent to me. This one, I dunno what to even say about it, just kinda boring to me.
0 x

Return to “Producers”