waxramble
GC90

New Flylo incoming.. Fire is Coming!

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:12 pm

Neat vid with David Lynch and David Firth - Dunno if any of you watched the new Twin Peaks but you should watch that too :acid:

Album art is dope too

2 x

grifty_p

Re: New Flylo incoming.. Fire is Coming!

Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 pm

does anybody have the rips from his BBC Radio 1 residency several years ago? I obtained them from a homie on STBB but my hard drive failed since then. I only have one left
1 x

grifty_p

Sun May 19, 2019 8:38 pm

^^^^i got em. lemme know if anybody wants em i'll hook it up
0 x

grifty_p

Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 pm

btw flamagra leaked anybody cop yet? i listened to the first 30 seconds it blew my mind but i had to skip
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Mon May 20, 2019 1:07 am

grifty_p wrote:
does anybody have the rips from his BBC Radio 1 residency several years ago? I obtained them from a homie on STBB but my hard drive failed since then. I only have one left
I do, I forgot who on STMB was ripping them back in the day but I have them all, props to that guy!

If you shoot me a PM to remind me I will try remembering to send your way tomorrow :)

Also, tempted to ask for that leak but think I'm gonna wait for the release haha
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm

waxramble wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:07 am
grifty_p wrote:
I do, I forgot who on STMB was ripping them back in the day but I have them all, props to that guy!

If you shoot me a PM to remind me I will try remembering to send your way tomorrow :)

Also, tempted to ask for that leak but think I'm gonna wait for the release haha
As promised, for anyone else interested too :)

https://we.tl/t-FDZPwgYmaK

Edit: Ahh, looks like GP got them already. Well to anyone else interested enjoy :)
0 x

waxramble
GC90

Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am

https://www.gq.com/story/flying-lotus-interview

Going over how all the features came to be, really cool to hear these stories
0 x

grifty_p

Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 am

personally i didn't like it at first really, but after like three listens it grew on me immensely. i thought "all these features, thundercat all over it again, bleh". i was starting to think flylo's sound has basically devolved into thundercat playing bass over hyper-exaggerated dilla style drums, with all kinds of other people doing the work for him. but the more i listened to it the more i realized every feature is a banger. the thundercat track, "the climb", classic thundercat banger. hope to hear him turn it into a 15 minute jam session live in the future. shabazz turns in one of their hottest tracks since black up. denzel steals the show and spits white hot flames. solange is graceful and elegant on her beautiful, album-defining track. george clinton aids in a classic flylo bass-burner. no feature is wasted imo, even the little dragon tune (who i kinda hate) is catchy and good. there's some experimental flylo in the early section with post requisite and capillaries. it's a certifiable smorgasbord of fucking classic flying lotus themes. my biggest criticism of it now is that it might not be his most cohesive record altogether. it kind of plays like a compilation rather then an album at times.

forgot to mention anderson paak track goes hard as fuck too
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 am

grifty_p wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 am
personally i didn't like it at first really, but after like three listens it grew on me immensely. i thought "all these features, thundercat all over it again, bleh". i was starting to think flylo's sound has basically devolved into thundercat playing bass over hyper-exaggerated dilla style drums, with all kinds of other people doing the work for him. but the more i listened to it the more i realized every feature is a banger. the thundercat track, "the climb", classic thundercat banger. hope to hear him turn it into a 15 minute jam session live in the future. shabazz turns in one of their hottest tracks since black up. denzel steals the show and spits white hot flames. solange is graceful and elegant on her beautiful, album-defining track. george clinton aids in a classic flylo bass-burner. no feature is wasted imo, even the little dragon tune (who i kinda hate) is catchy and good. there's some experimental flylo in the early section with post requisite and capillaries. it's a certifiable smorgasbord of fucking classic flying lotus themes. my biggest criticism of it now is that it might not be his most cohesive record altogether. it kind of plays like a compilation rather then an album at times.

forgot to mention anderson paak track goes hard as fuck too
Man, it really connected with me on first listen - It might be up there as my favorite vs Until the Quiet Comes. As you say, I was a little worried about the long list of features but every one of them is really great in my opinion. Some of the instrumentals are so good too, I can't get enough of it really. That's funny about the Little Dragon feature, when I heard it before the album dropped I thought it was ok but with the flow of the record that's actually been one that's stuck in my head as a highlight.

I hear ya on it not being cohesive, it really merges together his entire history of sounds onto one record which is neat in it's own way. I was reading that article when he's talking about features, he mentions how people expected that David Lynch track to be the first on album. He said he didn't because that track is really just another chapter, so I think in his head he was putting together the album more in sections rather than a singular cohesive theme (This is why I love Until the Quiet Comes so much, the dreamlike nature of that one was perfection in my opinion). I just take the "Flamagra" title as meaning all the tracks are :fire: :lol:

What did you think of Yellow Belly? I've heard people either really love it or they really hate it. I'm on the love it side, I was not familiar with Tierra Whack until this track but she is absolutely perfect for that beat in my opinion.

This album's def one of my favorites of the year, but I know Bandanna is gonna be my AOTY.. that single today that dropped is so good, got my 2LP special Rappcats version pre-ordered now :)
0 x

grifty_p

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:43 pm

hey beatmakers check this thread out:

0 x

Return to “Music”