boofkat

Favorite NON-HIP HOP Artists

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

Hey guys...

Thought it would be fun to have a thread where we talk about music we are into excluding hip-hop. Personally, I think in order to produce good hip-hop music it is a necessity to listen to other genres.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of

Fela Kuti
Absolutely insane artist from Nigeria, creator of the Afrobeat genre. He was an activist that used his music to give a voice to the suffering of the African people. Heavily prosecuted by the Nigerian government, his music influenced entire generations of African musicians.

His most famous song is probably Water No Get Enemy

But all of his music is amazing.

Nick Drake

An English singer-songwriter who died before he ever achieved mainstream success. Suffering from depression and insomnia, often conveyed in his lyrics, he made one hauntingly beautiful album called Pink Moon, and then retreated into his parents house and eventually committed suicide. His music has become among the most influential in England and, even if mopy man-and-his-guitar music isn't your thing, is worth checking out

First song on Pink Moon

Getz/Gilberto

This last one is technically two musicians, a collaboration between American Saxophonist Stan Getz and Brazilian Joao Gilberto. Getz/Gilberto is the name of their album, composed of transcendent Latin guitar and rhythm infused with the cool swing of American Jazz, sitting below soft Portuguese vocal melodies. If you haven't heard it, I cannot recommend it enough. Stop what you're doing right now, throw on some headphones, spark a joint, and get taken away.

You can find the album here

I could keep going forever but I'm curious what you guys have spinnin', always looking to expand
3 x

waxramble
GC90

Re: Favorite NON-HIP HOP Artists

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 am

Great thread idea!!! That Getz/Gilberto record is amazing.

Below are some favorites of mine that come to mind fast:

Rock
The Pixies - To me they are the greatest band ever, I love the way David Bowie described them as the "Psychotic Beatles" :lol:
Doolittle is technically their best, a lot of people think Surfer Rosa the best, but to me the most underrated one was Bossanova

Electronic
DJ Rashad - Over the last 4-5 years he's easily become my favorite electronic musician, particularly in the footwork niche. I've posted about him a lot here already, but seriously I can't say enough good things. He was like the Dilla of footwork basically. RIP

Jazz

Bill Evans - There are a ton I could post here, but if I had to pick one I've listened to the most, Bill Evans high up there. During college I think I listened to all his stuff anytime I needed to study in library to focus or when I was working on a paper late at night. I'm sure most people here have checked his stuff out, but def means a lot to me

Brazil

Antonio Carlos Jobim - My list of favorite Brazilian artists will change from time to time, but if I had to pick who I think best represents this it is Tom Jobim for me. Obviously a huge name, but man you can dig into anything he ever did, solid gold.

Not digging too deep, these are all huge names but they've certainly earned it :P
4 x

artisanaljuiceshop

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:56 pm

liking a lot of the stuff posted!....Im a huge Ween nerd:

2 x

Kyberrr

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 am

BURZUM. Obligatory disclaimer: I don't agree with his views. His music is amazing though.

0 x

Granny David

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:31 pm

A quick shout to those who have created magic on the :keyboard:

Karel Růžička
A Czech jazz pianist, composer and music teacher. During his career, he has collaborated with numerous notable jazz musicians, such as Karel Krautgartner, Luděk Hulan, Rudolf Dašek, George Mraz, Jiří Stivín, Laco Deczi and many others.

Tom Coster
An American keyboardist, composer, and longtime backing musician for Carlos Santana.

Ramsey Lewis
An American jazz composer, pianist and radio personality. Ramsey Lewis has recorded over 80 albums and has received five gold records and three Grammy Awards so far in his career.

Adam Makowicz
Polish pianist and composer living in Toronto. He performs jazz and classical piano pieces, as well as his own compositions.

Frank Abel
American keyboardist for the jazz group Lafayette Afro Rock Band.

Monty Alexander
Montgomery Bernard "Monty" Alexander is a Jamaican jazz pianist. His playing has a Caribbean influence and bright swinging feeling, with a strong vocabulary of bebop jazz and blues rooted melodies. He was influenced by Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Oscar Peterson, and Frank Sinatra.

Joe Sample
Joseph Leslie Sample was an American pianist, keyboard player, and composer. He was one of the founding members of the Jazz Crusaders, the band which became simply the Crusaders in 1971, and remained a part of the group until its final album in 1991. He was also one of the original members of The LA Express - A group formed in 1973 as the backing band for jazz saxophonist Tom Scott.

Larry Nash
American keyboardist who joined Tom Scott and The LA Express in late 1974 as a replacement for Joe Sample.

Thelonious Monk
Thelonious Sphere Monk was an American jazz pianist and composer. He had a unique improvisational style and made numerous contributions to the standard jazz repertoire, including "'Round Midnight", "Blue Monk", "Straight, No Chaser", "Ruby, My Dear", "In Walked Bud", and "Well, You Needn't".

Kevin Toney
American Keyboardist from Donald Byrd's group The Blackbyrds.

Herbie Hancock
Herbert Jeffrey Hancock is an American pianist, keyboardist, bandleader, composer and actor. Hancock started his career with Donald Byrd. He shortly thereafter joined the Miles Davis Quintet, where he helped to redefine the role of a jazz rhythm section and was one of the primary architects of the post-bop sound.

Gusztáv Csík
Jazz pianist from Hungary.

Errol Parker
French-Algerian jazz pianist who played with Django Reinhardt, James Moody, Don Byas and Kenny Clarke, among others.

Bob James
Robert McElhiney James is an American jazz keyboardist, arranger, and record producer. He founded the band Fourplay and wrote "Angela," the theme song for the TV show Taxi.

I made an hour-long compilation of fender rhodes jazz for the purpose of this post. Download link is available for 1 week for anyone who wants a copy :thumbup:
https://we.tl/t-G3uMUAis0E
3 x

canoot

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:50 pm

You already mentioned a few. I'm also a huge Herbie Hancock fan and I like Bob James and the Blackbyrds.
Now I will throw in Stevie for great songwriting like in this song but also for his funkyness for sure.

I also like King Crimson...

Azymuth...

and Boards of Canada (they are kinda hip hop though).
4 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:07 am

boofkat wrote:
Personally, I think in order to produce good hip-hop music it is a necessity to listen to other genres.
100% agreed.

I'll add some more recent artists/releases since most of the above posted stuff legendary, but mostly 20+ y.o.

Louis Cole & Genevieve Artadi (and the rest of KNOWER) incredibly funky and complexly arranged and played music

KOAN Sound... Sound design gods

Mr. Scruff with the best moondog-smpling ever:

BRICK - Dazz (the whole album is GOLD)

2 x

Razohr
STBB Wins: 1

Fri May 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Growing up with my father's large vinyl collection, which is now completely in my house, I started listening to his favorite artists early on and still do to this day.

John "Cougar" Mellencamp is not only a great musician and songwriter, but also from his personality and political attitude an absolute role model.

Some of my favorites:

TBC
1 x

willy66

Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:21 am

boofkat wrote:
Hey guys...

Thought it would be fun to have a thread where we talk about music we are into excluding hip-hop. Personally, I think in order to produce good hip-hop music it is a necessity to listen to other genres.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of

Fela Kuti
Absolutely insane artist from Nigeria, creator of the Afrobeat genre. He was an activist that used his music to give a voice to the suffering of the African people. Heavily prosecuted by the Nigerian government, his music influenced entire generations of African musicians.

His most famous song is probably Water No Get Enemy

But all of his music is amazing.

Nick Drake

An English singer-songwriter who died before he ever achieved mainstream success. Suffering from depression and insomnia, often conveyed in his lyrics, he made one hauntingly beautiful album called Pink Moon, and then retreated into his parents house and eventually committed suicide. His music has become among the most influential in England and, even if mopy man-and-his-guitar music isn't your thing, is worth checking out

First song on Pink Moon

Getz/Gilberto

This last one is technically two musicians, a collaboration between American Saxophonist Stan Getz and Brazilian Joao Gilberto. Getz/Gilberto is the name of their album, composed of transcendent Latin guitar and rhythm infused with the cool swing of American Jazz, sitting below soft Portuguese vocal melodies. If you haven't heard it, I cannot recommend it enough. Stop what you're doing right now, throw on some headphones, spark a joint, and get taken away.

You can find the album here

I could keep going forever but I'm curious what you guys have spinnin', always looking to expand

You can find wave cap that the artists are wearing from this site by the way.
Thanks for starting this thread to discuss music outside of hip-hop. It's refreshing to explore different genres and gain inspiration from a variety of musical styles.

Fela Kuti is indeed an incredible artist. His Afrobeat genre has had a significant impact on music, and his activism through his music is admirable. "Water No Get Enemy" is a classic and showcases his talent brilliantly.

Nick Drake's story is both tragic and fascinating. His music carries a haunting beauty, and "Pink Moon" is a remarkable album. Despite his untimely passing, his influence on English music is undeniable.

The collaboration between Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto in "Getz/Gilberto" is truly magical. The fusion of Latin guitar, Brazilian rhythms, and American jazz creates a captivating experience. It's definitely an album that can transport you to another place.

Personally, I've been exploring artists like Tash Sultana, a multi-instrumentalist and singer-songwriter known for their captivating performances, and Snarky Puppy, a talented jazz fusion collective with an impressive discography.

I'm excited to see what other music fellow members are into and discover more hidden gems. It's always great to expand our musical horizons. If you have any other recommendations or want to discuss music further, feel free to share!
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:22 pm

one of .. or the actual first 'hardcore' house track ever made..
i used to go to hardcore techno / gabber / houseparties

Mescalinum United ( PCP ) - We Have Arrived
0 x

Return to “Music”