OG STMB Members

Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 pm

Any OG members on here?
0 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: OG STMB Members

Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:06 am

plenty of members that where around before we moved from the ST message board to here, 4 years ago last november sixth..

319 was my first battle week..

and there's some who are on it since day one and around 100 .. 200

how about yourself.. was BigErnMcC always your name?
0 x

BigErnMcCracken

Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:47 am

Yes sir. A couple of the other members and me started the best battles. It’s good to see that they’re still going.
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:28 am

BigErnMcCracken wrote:
Yes sir. A couple of the other members and me started the best battles. It’s good to see that they’re still going.

oh word?.. that's dope man.. yeah, we're still carrying the torch.. ST basically got tired of upkeeping the messageboard and hosting the beat battles

and just terminated that part..

we kept the STBB part so that guys like you migh stumble onto us once again.. I like to think of it as Stolen Throne Beat Battles now ;).

do you have images or music.. like memorabilia, from those early years?..

unfortunately SC did away with Groups.. there were at least eight thousand people in the STBB group..

we did a couple of winner's and ( our ) faves compilations for a while..

you might dig

https://stbbforever.bandcamp.com/

1 x

dj_godzilla

Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Whatup doe. I won BB #1. Bigern just told me to join on Facebook.
2 x

BigErnMcCracken

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm

dj_godzilla wrote:
My guy! Was is that stupid “Conehead Bop” sample? Lol
Your beat was dope though. It’s crazy that they still have these going after all these years. Very nice.
2 x

dj_godzilla

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:27 pm

Nah it wasn't that win but I really liked that conehead bod sample. I don't remember what one it was. I remember I won quite a few early on and then a lot of people joined in that were a lot better than me sound quality wise and it was like I didn't have a chance anymore.
0 x

BigErnMcCracken

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:47 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:28 am
BigErnMcCracken wrote:

oh word?.. that's dope man.. yeah, we're still carrying the torch.. ST basically got tired of upkeeping the messageboard and hosting the beat battles

and just terminated that part..

we kept the STBB part so that guys like you migh stumble onto us once again.. I like to think of it as Stolen Throne Beat Battles now ;).

do you have images or music.. like memorabilia, from those early years?..

unfortunately SC did away with Groups.. there were at least eight thousand people in the STBB group..

we did a couple of winner's and ( our ) faves compilations for a while..

you might dig

https://stbbforever.bandcamp.com/

I’ll have to see what I have. That was so long ago (over a decade) and I feel super old. Back then, PBW and Jeff Jank used to pop up in the comments occasionally. I asked Jank if Stones Throw could do best battles…he was like “Why don’t you guys just do it?” or something like that. So I was like “aight, bet” and that’s how it started, basically.
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:40 pm

dj_godzilla wrote:
that's crazy!.. still making beats?
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 pm

BigErnMcCracken wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:47 am
I’ll have to see what I have. That was so long ago (over a decade) and I feel super old. Back then, PBW and Jeff Jank used to pop up in the comments occasionally. I asked Jank if Stones Throw could do beat battles…he was like “Why don’t you guys just do it?” or something like that. So I was like “aight, bet” and that’s how it started, basically.

cool.. and true, were' at #821 now so that almost 16 years..i've been doing 'em for 9 straight..
I know Heavy Drama downloaded all the stmb data with the wayback machine.
there's a lotta OG's that come back every so often.
we like to keep this as a chill spot on the internet for beat makers to come home to.

0 x

dj_godzilla

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:54 pm

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:40 pm
dj_godzilla wrote:
that's crazy!.. still making beats?
Nah not really. I'm old and pretty deep into my career. There was a point in making music where it felt like I was really pretty good at it but not quite good enough to make anyone really care. The work of trying to get anyone but myself to listen to it was more hassle than it was worth. Like "look at my awesome child" and then like maybe 3 people on the internet that I'd never see would be like "wow that's really good." Also, I would shop my music to local rappers a lot and I'd almost always be hit with a "oh wow, we need to collab" and then never hear back-- all while they were making whack tracks with other producers, or worse yet recording vocals with really bad sound levels making the whole track sound bad and more amateurish than it was.

I did keep djing for a lot longer than I made beats though. I had some successful nights back in the day that helped me build a decent reputation in the funk scene. I was part of a dj group called the pushermen back in college. We played funk-soul-hip hop-house music party nights at small clubs back in college. After I left for work, my buddy Cyrus branched out our night called the Bump and Hustle to 2 or three larger cities accross the Midwest. Both of the other 2 guys that were my main partners back then are still killing it. One, Spence, is one of the co-founders of Austin Boogie Crew Records, and the other Cyrus, is a well known record collector/dealer/dj.

Most recently I had a monthly in a small town in Spain called Rota, and then a monthly in a nearby larger city called Jerez. Since I've been back in the states I haven't been djing but if the right opportunity came along I'd be more than up for it. I have a few open invites for gigs here in California, but with a pregnant wife at home and a job where I am often on the road I haven't maintained my mixing chops to where I'd feel comfortable performing. Before I leave in March I'd like to be practiced up to where I feel comfortable sitting in on a night at the Boogie LA with my good friend Spence. When I made this account it asked me to link a soundcloud and I have some stuff I made about ten years ago on that, but I haven't made a lot recently.

My biggest regret was that when Jonwayne first started rapping he came onto the messageboards looking for beats and I kind of pushed him away. Dude is super dope.
0 x

dj_godzilla

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:56 pm

Also, I used to have the STMB T-shirt. I had an ex that turned it into a rag for cleaning. I was pissed.
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:26 pm

those are quite the anekdotes..

pushed away Jonwayne.. oeuw..

personally i make music as therapy.. and for the three listeners, lol.. well, a couple of dozen.. and the homies on here..
just a way of life..

dj_godzilla wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:56 pm
Also, I used to have the STMB T-shirt. I had an ex that turned it into a rag for cleaning. I was pissed.
no wonder she's an ex, haha..

feel free to drop anything here!
1 x

dj_godzilla

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:23 pm

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:26 pm
those are quite the anekdotes..

pushed away Jonwayne.. oeuw..

personally i make music as therapy.. and for the three listeners, lol.. well, a couple of dozen.. and the homies on here..
just a way of life..
Yeah man when Jonwayne showed up on the STMB he was named CaptainCookie if I remember right. His first few posts were basically him talking about how he was gonna start rapping and how he was way into poetry and shit. Then he posted some examples of his poetry and it really wasn't very good. Coupled with that, he was like making a big deal about being around black people and it really weirded me out. After a while though, you could see him progress musically with his rhymes and beats super quick. He eventually did put out a project with another Board member right before he got signed to Stonesthrow. I can't remember the other board members name though, I just remember he was a British cat and he was one of the guys that had a more professional sound that came after the beat battles started. The project was super good though.
1 x

dj_godzilla

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:24 pm

BigErnMcCracken wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 pm
Any OG members on here?
paging shakey finch and j303.

Not Paging, Dan Smith.
1 x

Return to “Chat”