Godall
STBB Wins: 2

Re: STBB #752

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:37 pm

This was pretty much the first time I ever separated the mixing and arrangement phase and it made managing my workflow like ten times easier. Normally I mix as I go and it takes me like a week to finish a single track, whereas this took about a day. I also was a lot more careful with my sound selection. Instead of layering a mess of sounds I stuck with a couple of claps and a couple kicks. Honestly, it suited the track's subtly a bit more. Lastly, I used to be really afraid of layering samples, but tried it here and it worked fantastically. Normally when I work with samples I try to arrange them with my own note sequencing, but I realized since they are in the same scale it doesn't matter and I can do whatever the fuck I want :D

All in all a fun week!
0 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:41 am

Bick Brannigan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am
Hey All, I feel like my drums don't sound as good as they could on my tracks so I tried to use side chaining. I haven't done that in the past so I watched a video to see it explained and tried to do it. I like how it cuts out the other tracks which I really liked. I still don't think my kick is kicking hard enough but I tried. I also started with just kick and played the chops to the kick which is opposite of what I usually do. If anyone know some good videos on how to make drums punch let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

I think MUMA taught me this 7 years ago lol.. and I just stuck with it..
of course I tweak the formula a lil' accordingly based on the sounds of the track.

aight..
eq: boost 88 hz.
dip 155 hz. that cleans it up and creates space for other sounds..
boost 450 hz.
I usually don't give it more than 2 db I think..
but I added a link to an advice on kicks website.. it says 6 db.
so the freqs aren't fixed.. but I use the ones I wrote as default and then move'em a little
to make it fit the 'key' sound of the track..
you always wanna tune your drums to the melody somewhat.
when necessary add some high freq if it need to cut through the other sounds there.
I really know f*ck all about compression.. info I take just doesn't stick..
so I do that by ear.. I have some default settings and and sometimes use compressors with presets which I tweak..
sidechaining I almost always apply to a degree.
again..I just play with the settings..
I usually use it mederately.. you can sidechain it to the whole track..and some more to the bassline if needed..( not drum related: sometimes I sidechain my vocals )
it can be fun to apply it strongly and push away al the other sounds for that sucking/push/pull effect.
like Lil' P said.. layering different sounding drums in general is a cool way to create thicker kicks..
you reach more frequencies.. you can shape the sound by volume, eq and using very different sounding drums..
say a short stubby punchy one which has a lotta highs, to cut through the mix..with la ow lo-fi one with crackle and a tail.. etc.
I think that's about all I have..
oh, wait.. maybe a lil' random but I thought the two Monophonic weeks were really interesting coz of the one sound at a time thing..
made every element very clear.

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/mixing/200 ... mpression/

0 x

Bick Brannigan

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 am

Hey Joa, Great info. I hope to get my kick banging. I am terrible at making clean mixes cause there is a lot of shit going on. I think I need to simplify sometimes. i will continue to work on this. Thanks, Hugh
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:01 am

Bick Brannigan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am
ah, see.. I knewI forgot something..

you can additionally eq the above mentioned frequencies by dipping them in your melody and bass if needed..
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 am

Bick Brannigan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 am
Hey Joa, Great info. I hope to get my kick banging. I am terrible at making clean mixes cause there is a lot of shit going on. I think I need to simplify sometimes. i will continue to work on this. Thanks, Hugh
ah, the eq-ing of sounds can really help clean up your mix..
removing unwanted freqs so they don't clash..
and giving different spaces/rooms.. by using reverb and and panning.. seperating all the soounds.

a sheet that can help below.

1 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”