super_sen

STBB #752

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:45 am

Week # 752
Each one teach one

Personally, I tend to get used to using similar patterns when approaching a track.
So this week is all about changing it up, educating yourself and others.
Try out something new that you haven´t been doing on your tracks before and share it with the group.
It can be a special way to sample source material or flip a sample, an effect or trick in your DAW, creating drum patterns, use of a plug-in, build up a drop, sound design or song structure. ANYTHING GOES.

Rules:
- Make use of the sample
- Share what you discovered and how you applied it

Outside anything: Yes

Sample:
https://we.tl/t-D77hbnQhYG

Have fun and create some :fire:

:peace:

The Fine Print
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "748“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time.
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: wetransfer.com/
3 x

CHOPFYT

Re: STBB #752

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:38 am

My personal challenge was quite small, I wanted to make something I still like so I just made a beat without hi hats (excluding the one in the sample on the intro). It prob seems minor but I normally use a lot of hats so it was out of the ordinary for me :peace:
0 x

YOUTH//VACCINE

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:24 am

i tried to make my own drum break, put a figure 8 mic between the kick and snare and compressed the hell out of it and distorted it. then added the sound of an explosion on the first kick. I tried to rap for the first time. I have to say it wasn't very enjoyable. Pretty frustrating. Tried to make the sample sound "glitchy"
0 x

resubmann3rs

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

tried a different way of sidechaining, drum programming and used bass chops out of the sample instead of a vst-bass
0 x

SlapAfNiels

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:50 pm

For this one i tried to give room for different instruments for the lead, for different parts of the song. Allso i used new effects and didn't use the ones i normally would.
0 x

super_sen

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:50 pm

i´m an ableton user and so i used "beat repeat" which i usually never do. I recorded a few minutes and turned knobs.
then i played drums in midi which i usually add as wavs, no quantize. Lastly I picked vocals from tracklib and added it for some type of hook.
0 x

Bick Brannigan

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am

Hey All, I feel like my drums don't sound as good as they could on my tracks so I tried to use side chaining. I haven't done that in the past so I watched a video to see it explained and tried to do it. I like how it cuts out the other tracks which I really liked. I still don't think my kick is kicking hard enough but I tried. I also started with just kick and played the chops to the kick which is opposite of what I usually do. If anyone know some good videos on how to make drums punch let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh
0 x

solermsc

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 am

Yo, mainly just used the sample. Added drums which i tried to programme a bit differently from usual, and limited it to stock fl plugins, a lot of which i hadn't used before.
0 x

Lalaina

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi ! I used for the first time quantization on my drums. Also I tried a bit of polyrithm with a guitar licks in 5/4 and guitar chord in 7/4 and lastly I only used an Ableton drumrack, no homemade one.

Peace.
0 x

lil p

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Nothing really special down here. Just reversed the sample, and put the shit out of those FX.
0 x

lil p

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:42 pm

Bick Brannigan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am
Hey All, I feel like my drums don't sound as good as they could on my tracks so I tried to use side chaining. I haven't done that in the past so I watched a video to see it explained and tried to do it. I like how it cuts out the other tracks which I really liked. I still don't think my kick is kicking hard enough but I tried. I also started with just kick and played the chops to the kick which is opposite of what I usually do. If anyone know some good videos on how to make drums punch let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh
Bro, best way I know to make the kicks go off it's to put a EQ on it. Ableton has a lot of good standards EQing that make the kicks bump. Also, overlaying makes them go even harder.

Peace
1 x

MOXATRON

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:29 pm

Yo what's good peps?

Been cooking up this evening.

I chopped the sample like I normally do.
But I tried a different way to play the high hats for my drums.
I also added a continues sampled pitched down bass note through out the track and the VST FM8 Arpeggiator synth for some extra textures. Which is something I don't normally do.

Had to see if it would work with an Acappella

Tarboosh's live beat making session was Dope tonight :thumbup:

:salute: :vulcan: :peace:
Peace. Mox
0 x

DJAGENTM

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:55 pm

I usually do all my drops with the Ableton Push and stay away from the pencil ( I like the DJ feel). I used the pencil today and didn't hate it.
0 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:13 pm

was at a gear and instruments store... with B-Dog... and B.O.R.... < he played a drumkit and I recorded it on my phone :)
I just held it to mic. at home and chopped it up.
the kick is me tapping the mic.. I then mostly handplaced them.. which mighta given a bit of a messy result..
did the the whole track yesterday so had no time to listen for things to improve on.
and there's some more recorded sounds..
oh, like Karma Chameleon was playing in the backgound at that store and that's the distoterted vocals you hear.
and while recording at home my phone rang and it seemed in the right key.. so I put that in thee aswell.
was fun!

pz!

0 x

goodwill beats

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:42 pm

0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”