∆EN.KEEɸ

STBB #728 "What would your favorite beat maker do"

Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:47 am

STBB #728 "What would your favorite beat maker do"

I won Wooooooooo!

First of all, I wanted to say I never cared much about winning as much as I did this week as I am just here to sharpen my sword amongst my peers and improve my production. What matters much to me is that I get to the point is that I bring some type of enjoyment to people who listen to my music.

BUT, if I had to win one week this would be THE one. J Dilla has been such a positive force lifting my spirit on a daily basis and I have learned so much from his style of production which I implement into all of music. I'm always thinking "What would Dilla do?" so the theme was very appropriate

That being said, who inspires your production style the most? Let's pay tribute to that this week by making a "tribute" type beat in the style or somewhat resembling your favorite producer by using at least one of the provided samples (mention who they are when you post your beat). Also, I looked up Chick Corea who recently passed(R.I.P) after JoaGymshoe mentioned him so the sample selection will all come from him.

Here they are:

https://we.tl/t-WDKVSxFJIV

Anything outside allowed except other sampled songs

The Fine Print

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB ###. weeknumber “ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time.
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: wetransfer.com/
7 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Re: STBB #728 "What would your favorite beat maker do"

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:47 pm

RIP Chick Corea + congratulations to you!
1 x

CHOPFYT

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:10 am

That Crystal jawn is my only hope here...*I never sample jazz.
0 x

KappNeffect

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am

The homie Sweatshirt got that FIRE, so I did a lil something with a "I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside" vibe.

Samples - Crystal Silence & Captain Marvel

I wanted a Kanye beat but the sound alluded me.
1 x

∆EN.KEEɸ

Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:27 pm

CHOPFYT wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:10 am
That Crystal jawn is my only hope here...*I never sample jazz.
Yeah me neither. I apologize I know the sample selection isn't the greatest I couldn't find that many sampleable Chick Corea songs. I wish I could add some more options but people are probably already working on stuff.
1 x

CHOPFYT

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Oh no need to apologise dude lots of people do sample jazz and its good to have a challenge. Im sure the samples will still produce plenty of heat.
0 x

super_sen

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Thanks for the samples! My take on this week was "What would TUXEDO (Mayer Hawthorne and JakeOne) do?
Quite recently I watched their "rhythym roulette" and how they "just" took some basic elements like drums and created a song on top of it.
I enjoy their music quite a lot and so, fully inspired, I hopped onto my Juno (VST) and recorded way too many layers.

After that i had a hard fiddling in the piano samples. I ended up with two layers of the late great Chick, however as the sample was rather minor/sad I had to cut away all the funk I was first aiming for. Well and this is what I ended up with. Just cannot hear this piano loop anymore so I decided to call it a day ;-)
Clap loop from one of my fav records and my latest gadget XO on the drums.

1 x

Buttaslick

Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:20 pm

0 x

checkthevibe
STBB Wins: 4

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 am

chopped spain and processed it to remove the noise
added for the 1st part a bounce bass, for the 2nd part a long paddy bass
added a short flute and than some vibey leads for the second part

0 x

MOXATRON

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 am

Yo.

Dope samples from an amazing Jazz musician. R.I.P
Can't really say I have a favourite producer. :hmm: :lol:
To many styles to mention and others I've never heard off.

Used the sample "Spain" some drums and some Bruce Lee Dialog from "Enter The Dragon" Hope that's allowed in the rules...?

Peace Mox.
0 x

∆EN.KEEɸ

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:15 pm

I would have to say besides Dilla, 9th Wonder is my biggest musical inspiration/favorite beat maker. Sometimes the two are interchangeable for me. I somewhat flipped it using some of the techniques I've observed in his music.

Not sure if I'm allowed to enter this week (If so consider it a non-entry)

0 x

Bick Brannigan

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Hey All, i dunno. I put Donald Fagen in the art work cause the keys samples reminded me of him but not really. I like that him and Becker got to pick the top session players to work on Steely Dan tracks. Kinda like beat makers get to choose from everything ever recorded to sample. I often put on the Classic Albums making of doc for "Aja" when I can't find anything decent to watch. It never fails to cheer me up. Hope all are well. Peace, Hugh

Here's the doc if anyone wanted to check it out. I like how they break the tracks down on the mixing desk.

2 x

Granny David

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:38 pm

Bick Brannigan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:42 pm
Hey All, i dunno. I put Donald Fagen in the art work cause the keys samples reminded me of him but not really. I like that him and Becker got to pick the top session players to work on Steely Dan tracks. Kinda like beat makers get to choose from everything ever recorded to sample. I often put on the Classic Albums making of doc for "Aja" when I can't find anything decent to watch. It never fails to cheer me up. Hope all are well. Peace, Hugh

Here's the doc if anyone wanted to check it out. I like how they break the tracks down on the mixing desk.

Used to love watching this too. Been a while

Uptown baby!
1 x

KappNeffect

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 pm

∆EN.KEEɸ wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:15 pm
I would have to say besides Dilla, 9th Wonder is my biggest musical inspiration/favorite beat maker
9th is a fucking legend. Love love love his style. That 9th snare ALWAYS SMACK.
0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”