Use this thread to vote while making sure to effectively utilize:

BIG lettering,
BOLDfonts,
and/or,
Crazy Colors.

VOTE 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
for 5, 3 and 1 points respectively,
otherwise your vote will not be counted

Voting allowed from 1 posted beat or 5 posts up.
You must vote in order to be eligible for the win.
Do not vote for yourself!

Voting ENDS Friday @ Midnight, Pacific Time

To the winner:
PLEASE POST A NEW TOPIC WITH YOUR SAMPLES AND RULES BY NOON ON SATURDAY, PACIFIC TIME
Suggested sample host: https://wetransfer.com/

For default rules and more:
STBB Beat Battle Rules & Guidelines

1 x

Granny David

Re: STBB #625 VOTE

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:06 am

1st
DJ Agent M

2nd
Psychedelic Schizophrenic

3rd
Lonius

Shouts to...
Moxatron
Chopfyt
Brotha B
1 x

keshiu.h

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:50 am

1. kompliziertes konsortium

2. vuzel

3. granny david

Big up to all sample-addicts out there
0 x

stoffa

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:59 am

Damn, so many good beats!

1. FanVonFree
2. B-Jam vs Enos X JoaGymshoe
3. t∆ntrå

Honorable mentions:
Granny David
Vuzel
ⓢⓦⒼⓦⓂ
0 x

canoot

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:59 am

1. BLeS24
2. Vuzel
3. t∆ntrå
1 x

BettyChopper

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 am
Listen to all this week's submission
Hey guys... There's a huge gap in listens while voting is going on.... I have watched this happen week after week to the same people. There are several.... There are people with .... let's say 250 followers who get 20-30 listens each week... during voting so we can assume those listens come from here. And there are people with 30-40 followers (if that) who average about 20-30 listens per beat (not STBB tracks) , but their beat battle tracks get 200 listens (for example bc I am NOT calling anyone out - but these numbers aren't far off.. just dont want to put anyone on the spot) ... i have no beat in, i have no vested interest this week but I cannot stand to see unfairness or people treated unjustly... I know people work very hard on these tracks and they deserve a listen. I feel there needs to be a system put in place (a thumbs up when you listen? IDK.. any ideas welcome), to show that anyone voting listened to all tracks.... if there are 40 people voting then eveyrone should have a least 40 listens and it doesn't seem like that is happening. EDIT. I do not believe that is happening. As i said ive seen it week after week and this weeks numbers are CRAZY and there's only 4 votes in... What in the world is going on?

I hate confrontation, I hate rocking the boat, I have fun here and enjoy stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things.... But let's do this right. I am not calling anyone out but I ask you all to look at the numbers and tell me that that looks right.... the numbers dwindle as it goes down the list then suddenly there's a spike? AGAIN I'm talking about during voting... It's not a good look.... (& who knows who's watching). I would say go back and look at previous weeks.. but others outside the group have likely added numbers and people do go back and listen later... I hope that next week won't be another example of this, but honestly I have watched it every week.... same people....

All I'm asking is that those that vote listen to every track posted as that person worked hard on that beat regardless of your opinion of them or who you like personally in the group... I'm sorry but I cannot stand to see people treated unfairly. And they make good beats. Why are these same people not getting listens? It doesn't add up and I feel there has to be a way to have some sort of way to show voters gave all a fair chance... bothered to listen. I'm not saying the winner ins't deserving. I"m saying and quoting the rules/guidelines: LISTEN TO ALL THIS WEEK"S SUBMISSIONS

Last but certainly not least, I'd like to add that ALL submissions should be reposted BEFORE voting is open and NOT 20-30 minutes after...
1 x

Granny David

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:55 pm

BettyChopper wrote:
the numbers dwindle as it goes down the list then suddenly there's a spike?
I noticed the spike on 2 tracks, but both tracks are collaboration tracks, so they have obviously had an extra re-post by the collaborator, hence more plays.
Hope this helps clear things up
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 pm

BettyChopper wrote:
JoaGymshoe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 am
Listen to all this week's submission
Hey guys... There's a huge gap in listens while voting is going on....
Hey Betty..

I'm lookin at what you wrote but I don't understand your example?

[/color]

"And there are people with 30-40 followers (if that) who average about 20-30 listens per beat (not STBB tracks) , but their beat battle tracks get 200 listens"

it feels like you're trying to say some people don't get a listen by everyone?..

Okay, just a general theory, after seeing some years of this.:
some beats get the obligatory 1 listen per track.. that's between 15 and 30 recently. and that's possibly all they'll get.
personally I might listen to tracks I like and even love 5 to 10 ten times.
when having to decide between a couple for voting the numbers always go up..
that is during the voting period..
sometimes someone places a vote for a beat and I'm like.. wait up..that beat?..did I miss something...and I might check it out again due to that.

things like that might explain the difference in numbers.
and then there's SC that plays track via some algorithm I guess so some track get [layed 'randomly' after other tracks finish.

as far as reposting after the vote topic is started.
I usually repost all the tracks before I leave for work.. that. thursday morning here..
then when I get to work the deadline has passed and I repost the ones that came in during my commute..
then later when I get some time I post the vote topic..
so beats that are posted before the deadline don't get reposted after the vote is up.

did I get right what you mean?

pz Joa
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:00 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 pm
personally I might listen to tracks I like and even love 5 to 10 ten times.
This is definitely the case for me, I end up listening to tracks entered during the week and my favorites tend to go in my Soundcloud likes and get replayed a lot (I probably listened to FVF's track like 10 times by now lol).

I agree Betty that folks should get a fair shot and everyone should check out their music -- based on the amount of votes received per battle, I don't think I've seen a track yet that has less plays than votes? (By the time the voting is over at least -- Someone who posted right at deadline will only have a couple plays at first obviously). I'm also not sure how the math is concerning regarding people with less followers getting more plays etc -- As Joa also mentions, Soundcloud's algorithms do all sorts of goofy things (Auto-playing a random track next, etc). Also, we don't even know how SC registers a play (If I listen to 80% of a track and move to the next one, does that get counted as a play?). I appreciate the concern here, it shows you care a lot about these battles :) -- I would say that I personally don't see anything too much to worry about here right now though in my opinion.

All that said, my votes for the week!

1. ⓢⓦⒼⓦⓂ (samwise ganja) - This one's like a journey haha -- All the switchups so cool. The second part not a sound I hear a lot on STBB -- then that fourth section, so dope. Nice job on this one Sam!!

2. FatVonFree - I've been missing my weekly dose of dope FVF beats!! Loving this remix of Strange Ways, excellent

3. David Langenbacher - The bass alone on this one gets my third vote haha -- that slow transition bit is also neat! Feel like this should be on a video game or something lol

Some other noteworthy to me:

BushBeats - Mentioned on SC I'm not a big Chance fan (but he's a cool dude irl, don't get me wrong!), but you made this remix dope, digging this one!

t∆ntrå - Chill stuff, I like the cover art too haha

B-Jam vs Enos x JoaGymshoe - Great collab -- Like the mixing/effects with Joa's voice on this one, pretty sweet

ps: Hey while you're voting on some music here, come vote on STBB Monthly Battle #002!!!
3 x

MOXATRON

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47 am

Hello, what a creative lot we are.
Top 9 for me.

David langenbancher
Liallo
DJ AJENT M
BLeS24
FatVonFree
Detritus Tabu3
2.Vuzel
1.Louis

Right, I’m off to bed, yet another night shift looms! good luck people, thank you for any comments and feed back.
Peace.
1 x

MOXATRON

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:57 am

Trying to play the tracks on sound cloud can be unusual for me, when I'm at work I try and listen to the entries.
But the tracks will stop like every 40 seconds to a minute.
So I don't really get to listen until I get back from work, and then I go through all of them and leave a dumb comment.

I know when I try to play my tracks to my mates, they either just talk over it or want to play some thing else....
I'm Just happy I get to create some shit.

Peace.
1 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:54 am

1. David Langenbacher
2. Lonius
3. BjamVSEnosVSJoaGymshoe

Ad listening/voting discussion:

This discussion is material for an extra thread, otherwise I fear all the arguments will be "forgotten" in a week or two latest...

My voting process involves at least two listens for everybody (normally), listening to all tracks twice and "liking" those that might be top 5 candidates. Then I'll listen again to those chosen to figure out whats the best submission(s) to my taste. In the process I tend to leave everybody comments, which, to be honest, is very work intense. Sometimes I just don't know what to write. (a simple cool/nice flip is sometimes the go-to comment then, but that got me banned from Soundcloud once :D)
Aside that there are weeks, when I just don't have the time to leave feedback at all. I am very sorry about that and try to keep those weeks as rare as possible.

I try to "reward": creative use of the sample (which is impossible in the case mentioned below) / overall production&mixing / Vibe! (does it catch me) and of course the implementation of the (special) rules.

My two cents on the "compareability" and there for the ease of understanding the votes of other STBB members:
The last few weeks, so calles " sample packs" of which some had 1+ hrs of sample material make it very hard to "compare" the submissions to each other, since theoretically everybody could flip a different sample!
As much as I appreciate the winners compiling these bombshells of concentrated sample gold, that much I think its NOT promoting/pushing the battles forward. (as mentioned above). Less (sampling material) is more! :)
2 x

David Langenbacher

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:24 am

Right here are my votes
1. Vuzel
2. Lonius
3. ⓢⓦⒼⓦⓂ

Also shouts to
Oag Woat
B-Jam vs Enos X JoaGymshoe
Detritus Tabu3
per.du
Bush Beats
1 x

BushBeats

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:04 am

I know we dont need 100 people to chime in and beatbattle a dead horse, but I will given that I'm a fairly regular contributor and a fairly infrequent vote receiver lol...

I genuinely feel that the tracks that get the most listens and votes are indeed the best tracks. And it does seem like usually every single track hits an appropriate minimum number of listens - this week we are already halfway through (w like 8 votes) and everybody has at least 40 listens, that seems acceptable I think.

It does make sense that the earliest posted tracks and the "best" tracks get the most plays.

I don't want to undermine the point raised by Betty at all, because I agree that every track deserves an earnest listen. I will admit that I normally give a proven top contributor several listens no matter what, because I am a fan of their work in general, whereas others wont necessarily get more than 2-3 chances to capture my interest. But I think that's ok, as long as each track gets its initial fair shot.

That being said, I'll use this conversation to try to further avoid using any subconscious bias in judging.

and appreciate you speaking up on something you felt wasnt right Betty, even if I disagree
2 x

MUSICA

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:57 am

1 DJ Agent M
2 Granny David
3 B-Jam vs Enos X JoaGymshoe

:D
1 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”