FatVonFree

STBB 885 Portishead Tribute

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 pm

Brief: Portishead Tribute week

….not massive attack….not tricky….Portishead Tribute (im a huge fan of massive attack and tricky by the way)

SOME NOTES… The nick hook sample pack is in there, its one shots from the sp1200 (the only pack i really use unless its my stuff). the zero g folder is some stuff i pulled from internet archive…the samples folders are labeled that way because i pulled them off of my mpc4000 hard drive. they are in small snippets because of the way i chopped/recorded them. dont worry there are no effects on the sounds. just they came from my japanese records direct into the mpc, you might have to turn the volume up some on them. this is from 2016 when i lived there.

THE SAMPLES
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/cbe9e3 ... TRN_TDL_01

THE EXTRAS STUFF (optional)
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ee11f2 ... TRN_TDL_01

RULE SET: use the samples provided in the STBB 885 folder to make something dark, moody, atmospheric and hard hitting. Tribute to Poristhead…the folder labeled FatVonFree…optional to use something in there. its a big file so thats why its optional.

*Under outside bass it says no. you can use a vst or live bass for damn sure or a synth. or take a low note from any of the samples provided.

Allowed

Outside Samples: No
Outside Drums: No
Outside Bass: No
VST Instruments: Yes
Live instruments: Yes
Live Recorded Vocals: Yes
Pre-recorded Acapellas: No
FX like Filtering/Reverb etc: Yes
Foley like nature, skits/movies: Yes
One shots like Sweep and Warbles: yes…
Vocal Chops: Yes
Micro-Looping: Yes
Split/ Isolated Stems: yes

Special Rule: there is a second folder labeled FatVonFree. this is some random stuff i make almost weekly. send to homies and such.
grabbing instruments and mangling them and adding fake noise when they request it. most from 2019 in this batch. there is also a modular jam thats 9 minutes long in there from 2023.....anyhoo…use something in that pack and get a virtual hand shake worth 5 schrute bucks and a hug.......cheers yall....(no extra points to clarify that)

THE FINE PRINT:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 885“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Thursday 06:00 in the morning, Pacific time/15:00 CET
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday noon Pacific / 21:00 CET
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Friday midnight Pacific/ Sat. 09:00 CET and upload the sample here: https://wetransfer.com/[/align]
3 x

FatVonFree

Re: STBB 885 Portishead Tribute

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 pm

will be around to clarify rules and check things if anybody has questions. let me know if there is a problem with the downloads too...i always try and do a portishead tribute if i win lol. if i can win once a year haha. hope ya dig the sounds. somebody posted about things being "readily available". i wanted it to be 5 extra points for using the FVF folder but decide on NO because fun fact. when i was in texas in 2020 (home). still didnt have high speed internet there (i live in the middle of nowhere there).. so i woulda been mad as hell if i couldnt download some huge ass folder to get some extra points. so yeah. fun times. hope its a good week. another fun fact. what you know about it being 2020 and i had to drive to town to connect to the high speed internet in mcdonalds parking lot to upload my album to bandcamp. the library was closed due to covid. the playstation update i did was even funnier. sorry for rambling.
0 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:39 am

good morning.. first of all congrats to glass tapes !.. too bad you couldn't make it for the posting of the new week

thanks for throwing it up Fv..

FatVonFree wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 pm
i always try and do a portishead tribute if i win lol. if i can win once a year haha.

haha, you crack me up sometimes.. jogging my memory for sure.. posting what came up below..

after you couldn't make it three weeks ago i thought this could be a good way to give you a chance to start a week..

so if i'm reading the brief righ it's mostly the aim make something dark, moody, atmospheric and hard hitting and not perse a Portishead sound alike contest ?
'coz that's not Tricky at all' ;)

2 x

FatVonFree

Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:49 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
so if i'm reading the brief righ it's mostly the aim make something dark, moody, atmospheric and hard hitting and not perse a Portishead sound alike contest ?
'coz that's not Tricky at all'
hahaha yeah man not a sound alike contest for sure. and damn nice diggin up the past ones we did for portishead week!!!!

edit: damn man this playlist is so fire. i remember throwing up the "Bohren & der Club of Gore Band" samples. and Eivior cause i am in love with her lol.
1 x

5XVT

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:13 am

One of me favourite artists too and genres. Nice samples!

1 x

ElvisJC

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:46 am

Is sampling some bethgibbons vocals outside the rule set for this week? Wasn’t completely sure.
1 x

glasstapes

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:59 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:

good morning.. first of all congrats to glass tapes !.. too bad you couldn't make it for the posting of the new week

thanks for throwing it up Fv..

yea my bad i was sick last night and just passed out before i even realized i had won.

thank you guys so much!

this week looks great tho thanks favfonfree
3 x

FatVonFree

Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:25 am

ElvisJC wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:46 am
Is sampling some bethgibbons vocals outside the rule set for this week? Wasn’t completely sure.
Yea vocal chops are fine. For the rules it’s

vocal chops :yes

Pre recorded acapellas :no

Bear with me I’m new to this list thing too. But yeah vocal chops are fine for sure. So vocal chops are okay. no full acapellas though. Sorry for the slow response.
0 x

Balstyrico

Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:47 am

FatVonFree wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 pm
….not massive attack….not tricky….Portishead Tribute (im a huge fan of massive attack and tricky by the way)
Who isn't. That fucking Bristol sound.
Both Tricky and Portishead sampled the same Isac Hayes track for "Glory Box" / "Hell is around the corner".
Also the album, Portishead "Dummy" is actually in mono. Always blow people away.

Hopefully I'll have some time during the week .... otherwise good luck all.
0 x

used paper bag

Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:03 am

Congrats on the win Von! Quick question about the rules. It says no outside bass but Vst’s are allowed. I’m on a 404 so I don’t have any Vst’s. But normally I just sample a single bass note and pitch it up and down. You’re saying that’s not allowed correct? If I hopped on my computer though and played a VST baseline over the track that would be allowed? Sorry for the confusion. Any insight is appreciated and peace!
0 x

FatVonFree

Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:38 pm

used paper bag wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:03 am
Congrats on the win Von! Quick question about the rules. It says no outside bass but Vst’s are allowed. I’m on a 404 so I don’t have any Vst’s. But normally I just sample a single bass note and pitch it up and down. You’re saying that’s not allowed correct? If I hopped on my computer though and played a VST baseline over the track that would be allowed? Sorry for the confusion. Any insight is appreciated and peace!
Yeah that’s allowed. Above the section that lists the rules I explained that you can do it. Also I wanted to possibly get rid of the “outside bass” category altogether. List is a little bloated in my opinion. But yeah man sample away. One of the samples with the woman singing has a nice bass run at the end of it.
1 x

ess-p

Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:50 pm

Yo, looking forward to this week, portishead is a vibe!

Might just be an issue with my computer but i wasnt able to get the Zero-G samples imported into Ableton, might be something to do with them coming straight off the 4000, kept saying they were corrupted. anyways they work if converted to mp3 so if anyone else has that issue you can use these versions instead : https://we.tl/t-7Hsh4hb6AC
1 x

FatVonFree

Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:29 pm

ess-p wrote:

Might just be an issue with my computer but i wasnt able to get the Zero-G samples imported into Ableton, might be something to do with them coming straight off the 4000, kept saying they were corrupted. anyways they work if converted to mp3 so if anyone else has that issue you can use these versions instead : https://we.tl/t-7Hsh4hb6AC
Zero g stuff was straight from the computer. Works in my ableton. Only stuff from mpc is the stuff in the samples folder.. Ableton does dumb stuff like this. It’s random too I just checked the zero g stuff in my other Mac. Transferred it via air drop. And says corrupted. Works fine in my other. In past challenges when this happens to stuff people put up I do the same but use reaper and bounce to wav not mp3.
0 x

ess-p

Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:38 pm

FatVonFree wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:29 pm
ess-p wrote:

Zero g stuff was straight from the computer. Works in my ableton. Only stuff from mpc is the stuff in the samples folder.. Ableton does dumb stuff like this. It’s random too I just checked the zero g stuff in my other Mac. Transferred it via air drop. And says corrupted. Works fine in my other. In past challenges when this happens to stuff people put up I do the same but use reaper and bounce to wav not mp3.
yeah it makes no sense, plays in VLC windows media player winamp etc fine just not ableton in my case!
0 x

UNCLE HESH

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:34 pm

Congrats FatV

I fucking love Portishead. Stoked on the theme this! Great rules. Can't wait to check the samples and start cooking. Hope everyone is well around here
0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”