glasstapes

Re: STBB #883

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:52 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:03 am
glasstapes wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:38 am
yea in my experience the paid tools have higher quality sample rate and less artifacts.

i'm fine ppl having a no stems rule, if someone wins the week they get to choose, as long as its explicitly stated. otherwise anything that isnt stated should be fair game (imo)
it would have to be the other way around coz there's some guys on here using hardware only.. can't really have an uneven playing field from the outset..

another solution is.. if the winner wants us to use stems.. he can provide them by splitting them for us.

coz so far there's plenty of people who'd have to use a limited ( quality ) online service..
i mean if one guy has a brand new m3 mac and another just a phone thats not really an even playing field either. we all have diff resources and setups.

but you are right if someone wants to require stem separation then they need to provide the stems in the sample pack. if someone wants to have a rule that says no stem separation that is also fair.

if theres no specific mention of stems in the rules then i think that using it if you want should be fair game.
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:12 am

per.du wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:25 am

I'm with you, but: its not like we will ever have an even playing field imo. Some of us have better or worse gear that they can handle better (or worse), have more or less time and so on.
alright.. and true..but this we can control..
glasstapes wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:52 am
JoaGymshoe wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:03 am
glasstapes wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:38 am
yea in my experience the paid tools have higher quality sample rate and less artifacts.

i'm fine ppl having a no stems rule, if someone wins the week they get to choose, as long as its explicitly stated. otherwise anything that isnt stated should be fair game (imo)
it would have to be the other way around coz there's some guys on here using hardware only.. can't really have an uneven playing field from the outset..

another solution is.. if the winner wants us to use stems.. he can provide them by splitting them for us.

coz so far there's plenty of people who'd have to use a limited ( quality ) online service..
i mean if one guy has a brand new m3 mac and another just a phone thats not really an even playing field either. we all have diff resources and setups.

but you are right if someone wants to require stem separation then they need to provide the stems in the sample pack. if someone wants to have a rule that says no stem separation that is also fair.

if theres no specific mention of stems in the rules then i think that using it if you want should be fair game.
i hear ya .. i'm just tryna look out for everyone involved... however

we're gonna go for this yes/no choice rule set right? .. so basically there would be no default anymore..

i'll create the option list and ( ask GD to ) add it as a separate post after the winner's post this friday.
1 x

solermsc

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:56 am

0 x

JoaGymshoe

Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:39 pm

.. i was just thinking.. how long untill we get the first: 'let AI create you a random melody from this and implement it' rule, or something like that, haha..
1 x

glasstapes

Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 pm

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:39 pm

.. i was just thinking.. how long untill we get the first: 'let AI create you a random melody from this and implement it' rule, or something like that, haha..
beatGPT incoming
1 x

The Wig Master

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:56 am

it does kinda feel like cheating to me. I used it on my kleeer beat on Soundcloud but only because a friend suggested I use it to remove the vocals off the loop. I think the free version of lalal worked pretty good for it. another friend hit me up the other day asking me what gear he needed to get for making beats. he wants to get back into it after about a decade off strictly because of the stem separation in the new mpc's. he always felt like that was what was holding him back. he just bought an mpc one, rocket 5's, dt770's and a turntable ALL just because of this stem thing. but it wouldn't have helped me this week at all. the samples were just too difficult for me. ess-p's flip was crazy. super impressive
0 x

glasstapes

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:35 am

The Wig Master wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:56 am
it does kinda feel like cheating to me. I used it on my kleeer beat on Soundcloud but only because a friend suggested I use it to remove the vocals off the loop. I think the free version of lalal worked pretty good for it. another friend hit me up the other day asking me what gear he needed to get for making beats. he wants to get back into it after about a decade off strictly because of the stem separation in the new mpc's. he always felt like that was what was holding him back. he just bought an mpc one, rocket 5's, dt770's and a turntable ALL just because of this stem thing. but it wouldn't have helped me this week at all. the samples were just too difficult for me. ess-p's flip was crazy. super impressive
i can see why it might feel like cheating to those of us who spent years having to work around the vocals or drums in a song.

i can also imagine being a teenager right now with my cracked fl or busted sp or whatever i might have using stem separation with no fucks given haha

theres just going to be a divided opinion on this, and thats fine. in terms of rules with the battles the board owners have the final say, but personally I think that the winner of each battle should set most of the rules for that week, within the already established guidelines of course. if someone wins and wants to set strict guidelines about no stem separation for that week i'd be happy to respect them bc the spirit of these battles to me is all about challenging each other. however i just want another winner to be able to allow the tech to be used if they so choose.
0 x

MOXATRON

Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 am

Yo

88 Bpm
Pitched the main chops up + 1 ( Sample 4 )
Bass/ Low end also from my main chops
Drums form the obvious drum break, ( Sample 1) Pitched them down and beefed them up wit EQ and compressors
some vocals from one of the others and a bit of piano and a bit of horns from the other tracks to qualify for this week's rules. :salute:
think I used all of them? :? :lol: :blunted:

:salute: :vulcan: :peace:
Peace Mox
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:30 am

on the forum so far i counted two people that were simply pro clarity

and three that are more outspoken against default splitting allowed..

and one that is very clearly for..

for me personally this is yes/no list maybe too much of a 'good thing' .. but we can give it a go..

anyone have feedback on this ?

Brief:

Rule set:

Allowed

Outside Drums: Yes/No
Outside Bass: Yes/No
VST Instruments: Yes/No
Live instruments: Yes/No
Purposefully Recorded Vocals: Yes/No
Pre-recorded Acapellas: Yes/No
FX: Yes/No
Foley, (Vocal) One Shots: Yes/No
Split/ Isolated Stems: Yes/No - if Yes, plz realize you are contributing to the downfall of the art jkjk
also soon we will be implanted with brain chips and linked up to the neural net where we can simply dream up beats :lol:

Special Rule:
0 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:14 pm

sorry to interupt the discussion thread with my entry :D

Used a cheap stem seperation tool just for fun on sample 1. Pretty crappy result (lots of disgusting artifacts, you'll maybe hear some of those in the beat), but usable (to some extent).

Only had one short evening to create and rushed through mixing tonight, however I’m pretty happy with the result!

Part 1:
drums: kick = S1&4, snare = S4, hihat = S1 („drums“ stem) + some mini chops fx from 1&3
„vocal chops“: S1 („other“ stem) + S3
bass: somewhere late in S2
FX+“fades“: S1 („other“ stem), S2, S3 (streched)
lead sample/pad: S1 („other“ stem)
plucked sounds: S3
vocal chops: S3

Part 2:
drums: S1 (unseperated)
drone/pad: S1 (unseperated)
sax-cuts: S2 (obviously)
bass: same as above, with different fx + filter
0 x

Jeff CrystaL

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:23 pm

Hello ,
So nice what you did Per.du!
My I Use 3 loops from samples and some short Skinny part from 3 others to make kick snare ect.....
I use the sample from the man, pretty sure many of yours have use it too :))))
And....a surprising reggae tone appears with manipulating all this loops!
0 x

5XVT

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:39 pm

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:30 am

Brief:

Rule set:

Allowed

Outside Drums: Yes/No
Outside Bass: Yes/No
VST Instruments: Yes/No
Live instruments: Yes/No
Purposefully Recorded Vocals: Yes/No
Pre-recorded Acapellas: Yes/No
FX: Yes/No
Foley, (Vocal) One Shots: Yes/No
Split/ Isolated Stems: Yes/No - if Yes, plz realize you are contributing to the downfall of the art jkjk
also soon we will be implanted with brain chips and linked up to the neural net where we can simply dream up beats :lol:

Special Rule:
Yup I think that’d be great (if it works consistently, need to test it) it also means the winner setting the next challenge has a check list of things that may want to tweak which could lead to some interesting weeks (I think)

(Posted on phone so it’s stole Joa font!)
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:56 pm

5XVT wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:39 pm

(Posted on phone so it’s stole Joa font!)

even though, this: https://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

i had to fix the font for ya :D

0 x

Elevate
STBB Wins: 2

Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:55 pm

Thanks for the samples Perdu. Good Practice with sound design. Lots of Mistakes, trial and error and was up for the challenge. Wanted to run sound through some pedals but didnt have time. Samples 1 &4 for drums , 2, 3 and 4 for vox melody and bass

0 x

Hugh G Twatt

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:24 pm

Hey All, All I know for sure is it contains all the samples.Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh
0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”