glasstapes

Re: STBB #883

Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54 am

5XVT wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:33 pm

I use Serato Studio so stems are built into the DAW so not like I’m going out of my way to separate stuff, it’s a little toggle switch on the track.

Fwiw - I don’t see using stems any different to people using acapellas on tracks most weeks (essentially a vocal stem)
also agreed but i think we all form our own creative ethos when it comes to how we deploy technology and choosing specific limitations, or lack thereof.

the stem stuff blows my mind and i use it a lot but i try to also take the time to set it aside and push myself to get something out of a sample that i wouldnt otherwise if i just chucked it into moises or whatever.

but at the same time i have no judgement for those who only use stems either. its not my place to critique how some else approaches art, even if maybe what they are doing is out of pure accessibility and choosing path of least resistance. thats only going to be more prevalent as technology advances.

we arent too far away from kids prompt producing whole beats with an ai lol. in my view i just want to push my own creative journey along as i see fit, making what is unique and interesting to me. too much crazy stuff out there to really get too bothered about it
2 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:00 am

..there is also the matter of not everybody having the stem technology..

i think it's 4 goes a month maximum on that free online splitter..
0 x

5XVT

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:05 am

Serato Studio is free but not sure if the Stems is in that build or you have to subscribe for it…

Edit - it is included in the free version
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:08 am

ah, that's cool.. i'll have a look at it .. ..however we can't really expect people to change daws or add one, right?

plus there's peeps that don't use daws..
0 x

5XVT

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:11 am

You can just bounce the stems of each track and put them into whatever.

For the record I’m not against ruling no stem separation for certain battles but it felt like I was being called out immediately after I posted my entry like I was cheating or something.
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:26 am

i understand that.. there is still point two..

ah, it wasn't my intention to call you out as a cheater

my intention with the 'pack only' , the week before was to find a way to extract and shape sounds etc.

i still voted Julian first.. so in that regard.. no cheating as it wasn't discussed as a rule..

this week the same rule set.. and you posting it like that did prompt me to share my thoughts..

and yes.. i do think in certain instances it's forgoing on the original art of sampling etc.

doesn't say we shouldn't be allowed to do it..

personally i wouldn't want it allowed per default though..
0 x

5XVT

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:33 am

Fair enough, I missed last week so didn't know it'd been brought up before.

All I'd like to see is for the rules to be clear as to what is and what isn't allowed, per week (including stems now thats available)
1 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:35 am

upfront: sorry I sparked another ruleset-discussion, I hope ya'll still having fun!

A table-like overview for the weeks ruleset sounds good, however in this weeks case I feel like samples only means only this: samples only. So you can microsample, split, use FX and so on. I feel like microsampling is kind of missing the topic (but still: not forbidden this week).

about splitting tracks with your tool of choice.
Personally I feel like seperating the samples into stems is like adding a third dimension to sampling. It doesn't break sampling imo, it can substantially change the process though.
I don't use splitting-tools often because the ones I tested produced weird artefacts (that can be cool) and low quality audio results. However I didn't think of it beeing forbidden if not explicitly mentioned in the ruleset.
(This week I used such a tool on one sample though, came out nicely :) )

@5XVT: since when is Serato studio for free? last time I checked it was about 200€ :O
0 x

glasstapes

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am

5XVT wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:05 am
Serato Studio is free but not sure if the Stems is in that build or you have to subscribe for it…

Edit - it is included in the free version
is it? i literally just downloaded it and could not get the stems part to work all it seems to have is the vocal and instrumental isolator
0 x

glasstapes

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:38 am

per.du wrote:
upfront: sorry I sparked another ruleset-discussion, I hope ya'll still having fun!

A table-like overview for the weeks ruleset sounds good, however in this weeks case I feel like samples only means only this: samples only. So you can microsample, split, use FX and so on. I feel like microsampling is kind of missing the topic (but still: not forbidden this week).

about splitting tracks with your tool of choice.
Personally I feel like seperating the samples into stems is like adding a third dimension to sampling. It doesn't break sampling imo, it can substantially change the process though.
I don't use splitting-tools often because the ones I tested produced weird artefacts (that can be cool) and low quality audio results. However I didn't think of it beeing forbidden if not explicitly mentioned in the ruleset.
(This week I used such a tool on one sample though, came out nicely :) )

@5XVT: since when is Serato studio for free? last time I checked it was about 200€ :O
yea in my experience the paid tools have higher quality sample rate and less artifacts.

i'm fine ppl having a no stems rule, if someone wins the week they get to choose, as long as its explicitly stated. otherwise anything that isnt stated should be fair game (imo)
1 x

5XVT

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:42 am

per.du wrote:
Not your fault whatsoever, discussions healthy, its worth a conversation when stuff like this pops up.

I have the pay monthly subscription but according to this https://serato.com/studio/pricing the Stem Separation is free (I can't test because mines signed in!)

Also if any of you want the stems on future battles (and its allowed) I'm happy to separate them out for you, just DM me
1 x

glasstapes

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:54 am

5XVT wrote:
per.du wrote:
Not your fault whatsoever, discussions healthy, its worth a conversation when stuff like this pops up.

I have the pay monthly subscription but according to this https://serato.com/studio/pricing the Stem Separation is free (I can't test because mines signed in!)

Also if any of you want the stems on future battles (and its allowed) I'm happy to separate them out for you, just DM me
yea i think they are being sneaky here. technically you do get it "free" bc you get vox and instrumental but it seems like you have to pay for a sub to get the full functionality. unless i am missing something but i couldnt figure out how to get the stem buttons to work
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:03 am

glasstapes wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:38 am
yea in my experience the paid tools have higher quality sample rate and less artifacts.

i'm fine ppl having a no stems rule, if someone wins the week they get to choose, as long as its explicitly stated. otherwise anything that isnt stated should be fair game (imo)
it would have to be the other way around coz there's some guys on here using hardware only.. can't really have an uneven playing field from the outset..

another solution is.. if the winner wants us to use stems.. he can provide them by splitting them for us.

coz so far there's plenty of people who'd have to use a limited ( quality ) online service..
0 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:25 am

5XVT wrote:

thx!
glasstapes wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:54 am
yea i think they are being sneaky here.

they are indeed - however free high qualoity vocal seperation is also dope.
I always used spleeter - 'cause free+online - which was kinda good a few years ago but is honestly so bad :D (also used it this week)
JoaGymshoe wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:03 am
can't really have an uneven playing field from the outset
I'm with you, but: its not like we will ever have an even playing field imo. Some of us have better or worse gear that they can handle better (or worse), have more or less time and so on.
0 x

Gauch Beatroot

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:33 am

Congrats Perdu!
great samples and rules!

Hope all are weelll!
All the samples has been used. No outside stuff.
all closed and open hihats are from the samples itself never touched them..
snare i did from sample 4
kick from sample 1 from the drum brake around 1;07 min in sample and the eheh cut that just before the brake starts.
main horn cuts from sample 2
and from sample 3 i did use the uhmm cut from the nice african person talking his chops off :D and some drum sticks from there as well.
and vocal You can make it from sample 4 as well.
some tweaking choping and sound playing.
At last i played it live and add little Tape stop effect.
I didnt do any stem seperation.
im patienly waiting for the new akai update where this will take that step forward a tons. you can check video bellow.
Peace
GB

1 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”