Kenja
STBB Wins: 10

STBB 867 | Italian Giallo | Collab Multiplier Bonus

Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:41 pm

STBB 867: Italian Giallo
It's :twisted: Friday the 13th! :twisted:

The sample theme this week is based around Italian Giallo. In Italian cinema, giallo is a genre of murder mystery fiction that often contains slasher, thriller, psychological horror, sexploitation, and, less frequently, supernatural horror elements.

The Rules:
Enjoy all the sample treats, sample as many as you like
Extra drums provided (a Hesh treat)
Everything outside allowed, no limit says Master P

Special Collaborator Bonus this Week:
To help incentivize more collaboration, this week's battle comes with a collab multiplier. What does that mean?

1. Any submitted entry that is a collaboration will get a 1.2x multiplier applied if the entry gets a vote at the end of the battle.

To further explain, here's the current point system:

1st Place: 5 points
2nd Place: 3 points
3rd Place: 1 point

Collaborate on a beat, get any place vote, and the 1.2x multiplier is activated, per vote received. Make sense?

2. Unlimited collaborations and submissions allowed

3. Feel free to not collaborate, if you so dare

Have a FRIGHTENING good time and have fun! :shock:

Samples:
https://we.tl/t-hU3Ajcwgcn

The Fine Print:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 867“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Thursday 06:00 in the morning, Pacific time/15:00 CET
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday noon Pacific / 21:00 CET
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Friday midnight Pacific/ Sat. 09:00 CET and upload the sample here: https://wetransfer.com/
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: STBB 867 | Italian Giallo | Collab Multiplier Bonus

Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:54 pm

congrats Hesha and Kenja!

not sure how i feel about the added point system.. peeps who didn't ( get to ) collab last week weren't in the running..

and now they're at a disadvantage..
1 x

Kenja

Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:59 pm

If the rest of the community agrees or disagrees, let's hear their opinions on it. It's whatever the people want at the end of the day.
0 x

5XVT

Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:37 am

Congrats on the win gentlemen!

I say go for it, rules are mean to be broken and we won't know if it works or not unless it's been tried out.

I think by encouraging collaboration it will only strengthen the Mandela week participation and we can test the 'systems' of collaboration discussed in the vote thread etc too.

I'm up for a collaboration with whoever, I'll download the samples after my morning coffee and try and get some beat sketches done - if you'd like me to send those over to you, let me know here and I'll send it/them on.
1 x

KMPA

Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:52 am

Hey, i haven't been taking part of STBB's for long time. so, now dropping some 13th friday vibes with a bit of spice from hitman (the game). drums and sample is from the pack.

Hopefully you like my boom bap stylish beat :fire:

cheers !
0 x

JulianConvex
Location: check my beat tape https://digginsack.bandcamp.com/album/j ... x-lowrider

Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:12 am

Big Giallo fan here :) I was lucky to see "Goblin" live in Berlin a few years ago.
1 x

Big Family
Location: some of the arrangements of the chops doesn’t make sense melodically

Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:34 am

Congrats on the win. Let me know when we go back to the old rules.
0 x

mlkii

Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:19 am

Congrats Kenja and Hesh.

I'm lucky if I find and hour or two on a weekend to make a quick beat. Best I can do for this is to chop the samples, make some loops, put some fx on em and let y'all do the rest. If I have time today, I'll put a download link to my work. If any of y'all want to pick it up, great! If not, that's cool too.
0 x

yoniden

Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:18 am

Love a spot of Stelvio Cipriani
nice!
Congrats on the win, thanks for the drums too.

Rules?... There are rules?...

where we are going we don't need roads

Much Love Every Beat Maker!
0 x

per.du
STBB Wins: 18

Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:34 am

Congrats Kenja&Co!

my 2ct on the collab rule: for me, the problem is that i can't spend that much time on the beats.
An hour here, an hour there or very rarely a whole evening. that doesn't fit with the "you have to collaborate" theme.
Don't get me wrong. Some of my best beats were made with Joa, for example. but that was at another time, when i had more flexible working hours and more time for beats. Currently such "obligations" rather scare me off though.

peace+ much love to yall!
0 x

Kenja

Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:04 am

I appreciate the healthy dialogue to at least have some conversation in the open around promoting more collaboration. It's all healthy to me.

For the collab multiplier, an alternative is to dampen the multiplier down to a 1.5x or 1.2x, per vote. Therefore, lessens the perception there will be a disadvantage submitting a sole submission vs. a collaborative submission when it comes to getting votes. That's if you get any votes at all.

There's also opportunity here for a sole submission to be absolute fire and is clearly a better beat than any other collaborative submission, therefore the votes will speak for themselves, regardless of a multiplier.

Ultimately, these are beat battles, weekly practice, a place to escape - so the thought was to present a new challenge to test. 5XVT was spot on. We won't know if it works or not unless it's been tried out.
3 x

MOXATRON

Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Yo

Real large sample pack this week!
Oomph my HD drive is groaning.

Took just 1of the samples Pitched it down -2
added some outside drums.
78 Bpm

Collabs seem to be something that needs plenty of pre planning before hand.
many factors must be taking into consideration... Time zones, work schedules, life stuff, peoples workflow.

For me personally it's bit of a stressful event.
Major lack of believing anything I do is of any credibility
and why would anyone want to work with me. lol
just want to make beats to share.

:salute: :vulcan: :peace:
Peace Mox
1 x

cascassette

Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:24 pm

Yeah I have no idea how to get a collab going, somehow. Even if I have a lot of time (which right now I don't) - I seem to not be very good at it. Even if I know musicians in the same city, it seems difficult to get them in the same place together!

Btw congrats to Kenja and thanks for 1GB of samples!

I didn't plan this next emoji to be so big --🙏

PS WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THESE BREAKS OMG
0 x

Hugh G Twatt

Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:15 pm

Hey All,
Non-Entry 80 bpm
I am down for anything. Here was one I did this morning.
here are the loops

Here is what I did with them. Not real attached to it if somebody want to use for a better idea. Best to reach me through soundcloud.

Peace, Hugh
0 x

mr. nbtbl

Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:44 am

congrats on the win kenja!

i like the rules.
reading all this, i think the standard rules should be a bit more collabo friendly…

One solo entry and as many collabos in different constellation as you can do.

I think it would be beneficial to see more collaborations in the regular weeks because it might be more easy to reach out to someone when you see he‘s doing collabs every now and then.

And while reaching out to someone i can do my solo entry if takes a bit longer to get an answer.

More than one collaboration seems to be nice because if can do another one i don‘t have to turn down people just because of the rules.

Saying that i doubt that this will happen very often, who has time for three beats a week?

Aside from the rules, i am always up for a collaboration, just hit me we will figure out something. I don’t need a proposal and i don’t wanna do „take it or leave it“

peace
1 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”