Use this thread to vote while making sure to effectively utilize:

BIG lettering,
BOLDfonts,
and/or,
Crazy Colors.

VOTE 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
for 5, 3 and 1 points respectively,
otherwise your vote will not be counted

Voting allowed from 1 posted beat or 5 posts up.
You must vote in order to be eligible for the win.
Do not vote for yourself.

Voting ENDS Friday @ Midnight, Pacific Time

To the winner:
PLEASE POST A NEW TOPIC WITH YOUR SAMPLES AND RULES BY NOON ON SATURDAY, PACIFIC TIME
Suggested sample host: https://wetransfer.com/

For default rules and more:
STBB Beat Battle Rules & Guidelines
4 x

Kongchain

Re: STBB #782 VOTE

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:24 am

01. Julian x GymShoe (That funk!)

02. Elevated Kings Music

03. Fla.
2 x

The_Widely_Unknown

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:43 pm

1. JulianConvex x JoaGymShoe
2. WigMaster
3. resubmann3rs
2 x

Elevate
STBB Wins: 2

Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:00 am

3. Julian xJoa
2.FLA
 ! Message from: Elevate
1. Kongchain
Its a busy weekend, but I'll leave feedback comments later.

Peace to All!!!
0 x

The Wig Master

Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:34 pm

tough call between these three:

3. super sen - nice compression
2. kongchain - great mix
1. swoop! - chill vibe
1 x

cascassette

Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:37 pm

1. Kongchain
2. Julian Convex & JoaGymshoe
3. WigMaster

Yo loved everything this week, I'm gonna try to come up with some commentary this weekend. Just had to vote in time. Much love to everybody who sent in a beat.
0 x

Hugh G Twatt

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:52 pm

1. Elevated Kings Music
2..Super Sen
3. Joa X Julian

Nice week. I tried to leave feedback without being too much of a twat. Honestly I don't know what advice I could give you guys cause it all sound so good. I took a break cause I really don't feel worthy but this shit is too much fun and it don't cost anything so see you next week. Battle on.
1 x

MOXATRON

Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:58 pm

Yo.
What’s good people?

Awesome flips from all, Big ups everyone. :thumbup:
I tried to leave some sort of constructive feedback. :)
Tough as always.
digging this week…

DEAD口
cascassette
GoodWilL
Super Sen
WigMaster
Kongchain
JoaGymshoe x JulianConvex

3.Swoop
2.resubmann3rs
1.𝐅𝐥𝐚.

Keep safe.

:salute: :vulcan: :peace:
Peace Mox.
1 x

resubmann3rs

Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:18 pm

1. Supersen
2. Kong
3. Julian & Joa!

mentions: Wig, FLA, Dead!
1 x

JulianConvex
Location: check my beat tape https://digginsack.bandcamp.com/album/j ... x-lowrider

Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:32 pm

Sooo, I will try to do this constructive feedback thing.
I like the idea but its really complicated to go deep for different reasons.
A lot of you guys comming from the lofi corner which makes it more or less useless to give "classic" technical advice. Another reason is Soundcloud sounds like sh*t :D
I was routing Soundcloud to my DAW so i could playing arround with my go to Eq and analyzer to find out what would improve your beats. Of course thats just what I would do. Mixing always has something to do with personal taste. So please dont be mad.

WigMaster:
Kick is really boomy. would dip it down arround 85Hz. Lowend in general is a bit to heavy.
Hi's could be more present. Soft highshelf on arround 6k would makes sense

resubmann3rs
Kick and snare need more weight. Also cut the side signal between 100-200hz. It helps the kick punch more without messy stereo information in the subs

Swoop!
Same with the sub stuff in the sides. Its never usefull.
The bassline is way louder then the drums. Turn it down and push the drums. Also a lot of highs are needed. There are mor or less nothing above 5k.

MOXATRON
Sound good to me. Lil bit less subs below 90hz and more highs from 4k.
Also cut away the bass in the side signal.

Kongchain
Sounds good. Bit more highs here could help too. U (all) dont have to push something in are violent way to get more highs. Just fill the spectrum with a tiny triangle or stuff like that.

GoodWilL
This is more a taste thing: i love wide drums but if the kick is this wide the snare should be on the same level of wideness. Cut the lows in the sides. this will be instantly sounds more natural.
Hihat has are anoying resonce at 9k, try to notch this.
The mids really quiet. Push it a few dB with a wide bell.

Hugh G Twatt
Guitar is really screamy. dip arround 3k by 2-3db. Makes it more chill for the ears.
Also cut that low shit in the sides. Bit of sidechaining will help the drums cutting trough.

LeftBoi
Cut subs in the side. Mix is really sharp. I could not here this beat on headphones. Would shelf down a lot at 4-5k so your curve is more ballanced.

R.I.P.tight
I dont get that high "click" sound on every kick. U can push the mid range by a lot of dB. Also your mix is really mono.

DEAD口
Find something "sustainey" to contrast the choppy stabs. Would make it more interesting

𝐅𝐥𝐚.
Sounds good but there is a huge gap between 1-7k. Find a new element which occupy this range.

cascassette
technically nothing to say here.

Elevated Kings Music - Stbb 782 Eskimo
Like it. Give me a bit more of this snappy 2k shit and we good

Super Sen
Sounds really good and ballanced. Only missing air on this one. A boost on 10-13k makes it for me

D.B. Bux
Its so unconventional and chaotic (in a good way), hard to give any advise to this. Ah, there is something..
Cut the lows in the side :P No, seriously. It will help your kick and bass a lot.

TrakMakesDaBeats
Push 70hz on your kick it give it the weight it needs. A bit more 2k to give the snare more snap
Sub bass is way to loud. If its not "loud" enough try to drive it a bit with a tape plugin or samething simular instead of increnasing the volume

Conclusion: Cut your damn bass on the sides :D
Would guess there is a M/S (Mid/side) mode on almost every eq plugin. Use it.
5 x

JulianConvex
Location: check my beat tape https://digginsack.bandcamp.com/album/j ... x-lowrider

Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:39 pm

1 Super Sen
2 WigMaster
3 Kongchain
1 x

DEAD408

Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:17 pm

1. Julian Cortex x Joagymshoe
2. Super Sen
3. Kongchain

Forgot when voting starts, shoutout everyone tho this week

Goodwill
Swoop
Elevated Kings Music
1 x

D.B.Bux

Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:31 pm

Big ups to JulianConvex for giving detailed technical advice.. Hard agree Soundcloud sounds like a** in general

I have huge respect for everyone who takes the time and effort to compete here - I'm trying my best to be critical in a constructive way so forgive me if anything I say rubs you the wrong way..

WigMaster: Dope ambient use of the guiro...I'm always in awe of your drums. Main complaint is that the Basic groove is overly back phrased, aka behind the grid. If you want to drag the rhythm that hard, maybe it would be even more effective to push the groove at the end of a 2 or 4 bar phrase to give a sense of forward momentum rather than remaining behind the grid throughout (Dilla beat tapes a good reference for this principle of push pull)

resubmann3rs: Basic Idea is strong.. too many audible gaps between chops during some parts.. can forgive some timestretch noise if rhythm is tighter so make sure groove is correct before committing to a tempo.

Swoopl: Starts with a good flow, gets repetitive and sidechain starts to fatigue ears after first minute.. nice filtering on organ/bass in 2nd half tho.

Moxatron: Tempo a bit aggressive compared to pitch/tempo of sample. . echo could be tighter with tempo.

Kongchain: Nicely Aggressive mix. Arrangement starts strong with organ melody, loses steam after first minute tho.. tries to build after but doesn't introduce anything exciting and (despite solid mix choices) so is a bit anticlimactic.

Goodwill : Agree with Julian vis a vis mix.. overall a nice groove... maybe 3-5 bpms faster for master tempo would help original sample feel less draggy?

Hugh G Twat: I like the basic harmonic structure and guitar parts are well executed.. would be better if there was a more grounded groove tho..some auto panning is nice but distracting when overused.

LeftBoi: Too much hi mid, Crunchy sounding mix. Tempo feels a bit sluggish. Also sub bass could be more articulate..Ending cool but overly loud after volume drop b4 it.,

R.I.P.tight: Nice drum programming.. kick sub working well with bass, sidechain en pointe. overall a bit flat.. could use a breakdown or a rhythmic/chordal change up at some point.

DEAD: Basic idea fine, dubby mix choices good .. doesn't really progress tho.. try varying arrangment

Fla: Nice effects at intro and cool drop.. maybe bass a bit much at points ..nice usage of vocal samples overall

C a s c a s s e t t e : Intro promising.. Basic groove lacking.. doesn't build.

Elevated Kings Music: Nice smooth mix, definitely feel Dilla vibes with the push pull of the groove .. one of the best flips of the week.. my only complaint is that it needs a more memorable hook.

Super Sen: Nice usage of accapella, Too much compressor/limiter on the master track to my ears but great work regardless!

Julian Convex + Joa: best track of the week overall fo sho.. Only complaint is arrangement lacking a sense of direction.. Verse starts strong but even tho concept is about lack of confidence it meanders too much and doesn't build as much as it could.

TrakMakesDaBeats: Was My favourite for first minute..Good chops, mixing etc Verbal flow engaging ..good sense of humour- my only complaint is vocal loses steam quickly..laid back bars are charming at first but start to sound lazy towards end.

My Picks

3)TrakMakesDaBeats

2)Elevated Kings Music

1)Julian + Joa
4 x

super_sen

Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:56 pm

Hey there

Thanks for all the comments and elaborated critique, I very much appreciate it!

Some notes on my process: I created a couple of more complex flips, even tried blending both samples but didnt succeed well. Finally I took a more simple flip but found a groove I was happy with. I knew the Ray sample from somewhere so I found Illa J´s joint where he used it, this brought me to the dilla aca. For the final mix I seemed to mess the tempo up a bit in the end. I chose abletons sub bass preset to give it some warm and boost the low end. Also I tried hiding the ratchet sound by cutting off some highs.

Feedback for everyone, following the I like, I wish pattern:

Wigmaster:
I like the layering of samples, the wet bass, great mix and various FX, overall heavy and dark feel; I wish for a little bit more subtle kick and snare

Resubmanners:
i like: great drum groove, overall mix, how you played with guitar chops to make it feel live, the b-section; i wish: a little softer and less edgier chopping

Swoop-End
i like: the lofi-vibed call-and response theme, subtle vocal chops and the warm and moody bass; i wish for: even more (synth?) layers (this feels like the beginning of a fly-lo tune, so good) as I was hoping this to develop; maybe let the main sample reach a bit more into the low-end as well?

Moxatron:
i like, the chops and groove are outstanding, bassline works very well for me; i wish for: a more dry and gritty kick and more presence in the hats as they sound great too

Kongchain:
i like: various and funky chop layers and how the vocal stab comes in as a surprising element, lots of tiny moments and elements; i wish for: a little less kick and bass in the mix

Goodwill:
i like: The lo-fi and moody chops and the bassline; the tiny synth that comes in every 2nd bar; i wish for more dry and lower mixed drums

Hugh G Twatt:
i like: the organ chops and how you layered an organ onto it, some really cool guitar layers: i wish for: a more balanced mix; some more percussive elements

LeftBoi:
i like: the dragging swing, how you eq'ed the sample, nice sub bass, the build-up with the tape fx: i wish for: the drums mix less loud and a bit more subtle hats

R.I.P.tight
i like: bass and samples create some sweet moments together, nice overall mood and groove; i wish: less edgy kick and hard drums, maybe some additional percussions and fx

DEAD:
i like: chops catch me right away, great snare, subtle fx; i wish for: a more present low-end and bassline

Fla:
i like: the chops and triplet groove, the tention and release you created with the long 808 bass; tight and minimal drums; i wish for: maybe a drop or releasing moment after the build-ups, to quote Hugh "i keep waiting for it to go boom" :)

Cascasette:
i like: the bold kick drum and the rough and funky chops; i wish: a more balanced mix and some elements to fill the open space that the drums create

Elevated Kings Music:
i like: great drums, organ stabs and even better bassline, the mix on the low-end side; i wish: maybe some more saturation on the low end; maybe some less presence on the organ in the second part of the track

D.B.Bux
i like: the "fat" mix, chops are fun and surprising, this feels like a medley as there's a switch-up every 4-8 bars :) i wish for: as great as the flips are, maybe leave some time for some of them to breathe and develop

Julian Convex & Joa Gymshoe:
i like: Chops, Bassline and funk elements are top-notch, Joa's singing reminds me of Kokane and also raps are very cool; i wish for: Joa's voice not pitched down

TrakMakesDaBeats:
i like: the "stuttering" chops approach and lofi-fx; 808 creates a nice lowend; i wish for: more presence on the kick, 808 going on throughout the track

thou.sand: - he was not put on the playlist and thus got overlooked :-/
i like: the lofi-feel on the samples, great snare and dope drums on the Jada part; i wish: maybe some more saturation on the drums in the second part; maybe pushing the overall low end a little more

1. Joa & Julian :fire: :fire: :fire:
2. Moxatron :fire: :fire:
3. Fla :fire:

Runners up: Swoop, Elevated, D.B. Bux,....
5 x

Granny David

Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:00 am

STBB #782 RESULT

1st Julian Convex x JoaGymshoe Collab 31pts
2nd Kongchain 18pts
3rd Super Sen 17pts

Starting Saturday, March 5th deadlines will change for a month-long experiment. See post for details!
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=16254#p16254

1 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”