JulianConvex
Location: check my beat tape https://digginsack.bandcamp.com/album/j ... x-lowrider

STBB #777

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:05 am

STBB #777 70s Electronica

7 samples from around nineteen77

Samples:

https://we.tl/t-4EL2ahTXwD

Rules:

-use at least 3 of the provided samples
-outside everything is allowed as long the samples are in focus
-no full acapellas - except for self recorded raps
-u have to pick a tempo below 85bpm or above 95bpm :P
-bonus points for 77,7bpm
-try to keep it under 2 minutes

have fun

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "777“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time.
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: https://wetransfer.com/
4 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: STBB #777

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:52 am

congrats my man..

1 x

JoaGymshoe

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 am

FatVonFree wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 pm
yo joa!!!!! Looking through some earlier posts it was brought up in Dec 2018 about moving the dates of the battle. can we revisit maybe discuss that on a thread again. just like throwing feelers out. when i lived in japan 2015-2020 it was nice, wake up sunday and the rules were posted while i was sleep so i had all day to make a beat. living in saudi now lol bro. the work week starts on sunday :| . so i work on it for a few days in the mornings, its very damn productive actually. but man. my weekend now is friday and saturday. wonder how folks would feel or if the sentiment is still the same. you, heavydrama, and grifty_p were talking about it. but yeah man i would love to work on the beats on the weekend. its fine for damn sure like it is. but maaaaaane... :dance: anyhoo just wanted to bring it up. probably still a hard sell, but its been a few years so i wanted to see how others were feeling about it!!! cheers been a dope week. whoever wins this shit ima come find you if you dont let me play my damn bass guitar next week... :cry:

ah, that's kinda funny.. I was just contemplating the whole schedule coz of to purple pen's late-entry and the suggestions Rogue Wig ;) made a while back..
was thinking we could possibly shorten the vote to have more time to flip..
my intial idea was tot try the 'Vote till the deadline idea'
- entries are allowed untill the deadline.. but voting starts at the usual time'
that would mean enter late you risk not getting votes.. but if it's really good you might get a bunch of late nr. 1 votes.
risk would be everybody would just wait till the end to vote.. but would that be a problem?
so.. why not shorten the vote altogether?
posting deadline thursday midnight pacific instead of wednesday.
then FVF's request.
a lotta people prob have friday night off.. so it could be cool to have a battle up by then.
to achieve that we could have the vote from wednesday midnight pacific till thursday midnight pacific only.
with the winner posting the new week somewhere friday leaving friday afternoon/ evening/night extra to flip
depending on what time the winner posts and what timezone you are in.
drawback is obviously only one day to listen so people would possibly not have time to vote and no chill listening sessions on friday evening.
moving the whole 5 and 2 system a day earlier is not on the cards..
so the option above seems like the only viable option to try..
I haven't talked with any of the other mods yet.. will do so as soon as..
in any case I suggest, if we try it, it would be on a trial basis.
posted in this thread so everyon is likely to see it..
curious what you guys think.

pz Joa
1 x

The Wig Master

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:49 am

we moved voting to two days from one originally because not enough people were voting. I don't think that's a problem anymore. pretty sure that happened when stones throw started promoting the battle and we had 40 entries a week. also don't think it matters if people are waiting till the end to vote. as long as everyone is voting it doesn't really matter when. I'm all for any day being the deadline. whatever is gonna allow more entries. like you said we can try and adjust what isn't working
3 x

Purple Pen

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Yeah, not sure how much weight my opinion should carry as a longtime lurker and very infrequent participant (though I do go way back to 2008 or 2009 with Wig and others under a different alias 8-) ).

It's a good question as to whether the precious Friday evening hours are better devoted to voting versus getting a head start on the new battle. I feel like voter turnout is often a little disappointing as it is... I don't know how much it would suffer further without that Friday night listening session. That said, I'm open to moving up the start time if people would prefer to have Friday to work on a beat.

I do like the idea of allowing late entries during the voting period and letting us procrastinators assume the vote loss risk :lol:
2 x

SonicSkater

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:14 pm

Samples are :fire: :fire: :fire:!!!
0 x

The Wig Master

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:21 pm

also meatloaf bat out of hell was released in 1977
2 x

JoaGymshoe

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:29 pm

Purple Pen wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm
Yeah, not sure how much weight my opinion should carry as a longtime lurker and very infrequent participant (though I do go way back to 2008 or 2009 with Wig and others under a different alias 8-) ).

It's a good question as to whether the precious Friday evening hours are better devoted to voting versus getting a head start on the new battle. I feel like voter turnout is often a little disappointing as it is... I don't know how much it would suffer further without that Friday night listening session. That said, I'm open to moving up the start time if people would prefer to have Friday to work on a beat.

I do like the idea of allowing late entries during the voting period and letting us procrastinators assume the vote loss risk :lol:
yeah, that's a good point.. it's not all that bad usually..
we added the ' gotta vote to be elligeble for the win' line to stimulate the voting.. that worked.
a good amount of time to vote is conducive...

I think this one day voting system would work better if it were the friday.. coz of the time off and no duties the next day for a lotta people.

if were were to stick with the current schedule plus a 'Vote till the deadline'.. someone who'd want to utilize a thursday and friday could do so..
( yet have less time to accumulate votes.. still.. a lot of voting is done on friday evening/night usually )
i'm just typing as I'm thinking here..
yeah, this idea sounds kinda right and not too invasive.
0 x

FatVonFree

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:39 pm

yeah man im down for whatever yall decide. that weekend real estate for making beats would be nice...glad there is a discussion about it.
1 x

SonicSkater

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm

4 x

Kenja
STBB Wins: 10

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:15 pm

5 x

Supafly Arturo

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:21 pm

My thoughts:
Ideal schedule for me and some other folks would be
Samples drop Friday morning
Voting is ~Wednesday~ and Thursday.
Squiggles around Wednesday because even that day might not have to be for voting.
Whole weekend+ to produce, which I think would be a bonus for most people (except me, it doesn't really change anything since I'm working freelance, my schedule is pretty amorphous).
However, this is barely different than the old schedule, so you know, would this change a whole lot?
I do think having 2 days to vote is fair, but if I'm really dedicated (and I usually am if I've made a beat) I can get my voting done by that morning, especially if I listen to the entries that have been submitted before voting day actually arrives.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if we change the schedule, I don't think we want to alter it too drastically from the way it is now because I think what the current schedule is works pretty dang well. I do think there might be room for improvement, but also changing a schedule up almost invariably leaves somebody in the lurch.
2 x

The Wig Master

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:51 pm

would still love a 'no late entries' style where you can submit whenever. as long as the mods aren't doing any extra work. voting doesn't take that long usually and don't care what day it is
0 x

Purple Pen

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm

The Wig Master wrote:
would still love a 'no late entries' style where you can submit whenever. as long as the mods aren't doing any extra work. voting doesn't take that long usually and don't care what day it is
That's the only downside I see, just that it might place undue burden on mods if stragglers are routinely DMing for late additions to the playlist, as I did this past week :oops:. I think there'd need to be a clear understanding that there's no guarantee of timely inclusion in the voting list after the official deadline—again, the risk is on the procrastinators.
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:17 pm

The Wig Master wrote:
there's different approaches being used on voting.. i know some listen over the two days and make an actual list etc.
also voting can take longer if one wants to give tracks a several listens and even leave some feedback too.. the latter we've always encouraged.
i think we all appreciate some comments left on our tracks.

like Supafly said.. two days to vote seems fair..
some listen to the beats as they are posted and vote right after the posting deadline.. as that's their perfect window..
is that still gonna be cool if you have the feeling you migtht miss stuff?
I'm wondering what it would do to the dynamics of voting.
maybe at least one day ( friday )of non-entry would be better(?)

Purple Pen wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm
That's the only downside I see, just that it might place undue burden on mods if stragglers are routinely DMing for late additions to the playlist, as I did this past week :oops:. I think there'd need to be a clear understanding that there's no guarantee of timely inclusion in the voting list after the official deadline—again, the risk is on the procrastinators.

the sc stbb collection playlist has always been purely for easy listening sake.. tracks that are posted on the forum would count.
they could likely be added at least once a day on thursdays and fridays.
contacting mods wouldn't be necessary.
most importantly the voting shouldn't suffer.
0 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”