solsauvage

STBB #767

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:33 am

Thanks good people!
and props to the sample provider - let's get on with

- S T B B # 7 6 7 -

Here's this weeks sample(s)
https://we.tl/t-v3zdgh7TAl
As today, nov 13 is World Kindness Day, if you feel inspired feel free to work with Kindness as this weeks theme!

the Fine Print
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "767“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time.
Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: https://wetransfer.com/
3 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Re: STBB #767

Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:04 am

congrats brother.. dope samples!
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:18 am

eyy.. was having a talk with someone about special rules.. and how he likes them..
I always think it's cool to have at least an angle or something too..
so I just wanna offer an 100% optional little theme to this week.. hope that's okay Sol?
I looked up what day it is today and it turns out to be world kindness day..
so if anyone wants to work that into a beat somehow.. feel free.. and you don't have to let it influence your the votes.

pz Joa

https://nationaltoday.com/world-kindness-day/
2 x

solsauvage

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:46 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:18 am

so I just wanna offer an 100% optional little theme to this week.. hope that's okay Sol?

Perfect Joa, I added that to the post!
1 x

The Wig Master

Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:30 am

delete
1 x

B-Dog
STBB Wins: 3

Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 am

Yo stbb friends,

It’s me Joa was referring to. ;-) Yep... I’m a big fan of themes, rules, challenges and I do miss them more and more. Creative challenges inspire me. Checking out every new weekbattle, I’m always hoping for something more then “here samples/make beat”. No criticism to anyone. Just how I feel. How do you all look at this? Is it just me or ...? Hope to hear. Cheers and peace to y’all!

B-Dog
3 x

The Wig Master

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 am

I'm not a fan of special rules at all. they rarely facilitate a better product. it's usually just some arbitrary hoop to jump through. it often feels like people are just trying to exert power over others by making them follow their pointless rules, much like woke-ism. I make beats to be free and to go someplace where I can't be told what to do. the more rules there are the less freedom I feel. it's why I dipped out for quite a while. the rules were getting ridiculous almost like people wanted creativity points for their clever rule sets. if I win there will never be any special rules.
2 x

JoaGymshoe

Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:24 am

The Wig Master wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 am
I'm not a fan of special rules at all. they rarely facilitate a better product. it's usually just some arbitrary hoop to jump through. *it often feels like people are just trying to exert power over others by making them follow their pointless rules, much like woke-ism. I make beats to be free and to go someplace where I can't be told what to do. the more rules there are the less freedom I feel. it's why I dipped out for quite a while. the rules were getting ridiculous almost like people wanted creativity points for their clever rule sets. if I win there will never be any special rules.

to each they're own..
I'm glad people are different so we'll have varied rulesets to no rules at all..

*good lord.. lol.. that's a cynical view you'e projecting onto that man..

a lot of us like to be challenged in different ways..
personally I've learned so much from special rules..
i.e. the monophonic one was brilliant.. but also timing stuff and mixing techniques.. themes for moods I appreciate too.. tributes etc.
yeah, some weeks the rules were a tad much.. can't like everything all the time right?

anyways.. it takes all sorts.. all good
3 x

SonicSkater

Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:30 am

Congrats Sol!! Well deserved win! :) :peace:

I'll give my thoughts on "special rules" and rules in general for the battles. I have mixed feelings about them, often I really like them and other times I may skip a battle because of them. I think some of my more creative beats have come from the rules of a battle. I often lack direction when I'm sitting down to make something, there's some quote like "The enemy of art is the lack of limitations" which I've generally found to be true for myself. Forcing myself to make a beat with just drums and a sample often produces a very creative result! And as for "themes", I'm generally a fan of those as well for the same reason.

However!

Lately I have less time and energy to sit down and make beats like I used to, and I have enjoyed the last few battles and their lack of specific rules or limitations. Sometimes I just want to sit down and make a beat! Sometimes I'll try making a beat given a certain set of rules, only to give up due to not really having any ideas for it. And making beats has become more of an escape for me, where in the past it was something I would sit down and painstakingly craft. Now that I work full-time I just don't have the energy a lot of times to pour that much effort into working within a tight set of limitations.

Anyways those are my thoughts, I'd be curious to hear what everyone else thinks!
4 x

NocomplySoldier

Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:08 am

Congrats on the WIN!!!
0 x

The Wig Master

Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:16 am

haha that wasn't directed at any one person at all. I don't have any memory of who makes what special rule each week. it's just a general feeling of being tired of told what to do in real life, coming here to escape it, and getting more of it. the rules that actually improve the craft like the monophonic thing are great. if someone said you can't use a snare this week I'm all for it. just sometimes the rules seem rediculous
3 x

defMute

Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 pm

4 x

SonicSkater

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:09 pm

The Wig Master wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:16 am
...it's just a general feeling of being tired of told what to do in real life, coming here to escape it...
Feel you on that Wig, fuck the man! :peace:
1 x

Supafly Arturo

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:55 pm

my opinion is the rules are fun sometimes, but i've sat out of making beats a fair number of weeks cause i didn't feel like tackling the special rule given that week.

i think the sample provided has an effect on that. some songs are easier to work with than others, so if i'm already dealing with something that's tricksy to sample AND i have a special rule to deal with that's making my life tough, i'll just skip the week and opt to work on something i'll have more fun with.

sometimes i just wanna make a beat with y'all and not having to worry. some special rules are pretty chill though. like, the one suggested for this week is maybe have kindness in mind when making the beat? that's easy stuff, i don't mind that too much
that's my two cents anyways
0 x

SonicSkater

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:38 pm

2 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”