Re: STBB MB #006 - VOTE

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:09 am

waxramble wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:36 pm
JoaGymshoe wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:22 pm
waxramble wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 pm

I think everyone's beat was nice this week, sad to see only a few people make it out to this one! If there's anything that could be done differently in future months, etc def feel free to PM me guys, happy to try doing anything to get some more participation going on here!

Looking forward to July's battle! :salute:
how about, no rules.. and a focus on dope samples..
or a little 2 day vote on a sample selection?

just thoughts
Interesting ideas! Maybe with the monthly the rules have gotten a little crazy?

A sample selection vote is a neat idea too. What if we did a sample collection on the 1st of every month - vote on sample on the 5th, due date on the last Wednesday of the month and deadline being the last Friday of the month?

Would the previous month's winner have their vote count for more? Or maybe they can still declare the rules?

Just some ideas to play around with, def interested in any more ideas from others too :)

ah, I was thinking the sample selection could come from the winners..
but we could provid them too I suppose.
no rules would make the battle very accesible I think.
1 x

mr. nbtbl

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:41 am

Yeah i think the no rules idea could work... Sample voting is a good idea too.... but should not be manditory for somebody to enter the battle... so everyone can enter even on the last day...
One other thing we mybe could do better is maybe the availability of the samples... Is there a good filehoster for storing the samples? The anonymous we is perfekt... but only a week. .. For mega it seems registration is needed. Googledrive is striktly private for my concerns

Maybe we could do the monthly totally free of rules and smples just like show us rhe dopest thing you‘ve done this month ....
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:51 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:09 am

ah, I was thinking the sample selection could come from the winners..
but we could provid them too I suppose.
no rules would make the battle very accesible I think.
Ahh, that makes more sense with winner selecting samples then folks vote on which one for the month :lol: - Sorry been a long day, I'm tired lol
mr. nbtbl wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:41 am
Yeah i think the no rules idea could work... Sample voting is a good idea too.... but should not be manditory for somebody to enter the battle... so everyone can enter even on the last day...
One other thing we mybe could do better is maybe the availability of the samples... Is there a good filehoster for storing the samples? The anonymous we is perfekt... but only a week. .. For mega it seems registration is needed. Googledrive is striktly private for my concerns

Maybe we could do the monthly totally free of rules and smples just like show us rhe dopest thing you‘ve done this month ....
This is another cool idea too, like using the monthly as a "Freestyle" battle - Folks are probably working on their own music each month and could submit their favorite one they've made. We would just need an honor rule that track was uploaded sometime within the month. This could also make voting a lot more simple too. Anything uploaded from the 1st of month until say the last week of the month for voting could work?

As far as hosting goes, I agree that this may also be a reason why for limited participating since the file link has died sometimes. I've found a site called https://anonfile.com/ - Maybe we could try this one out for next month?

With all of this said, the winner of June's Monthly Battle is Granny David & NBTL & KRXS with 3 votes! Congrats on the win fellas :)

Maybe when you guys set up the next battle, we can try out one of these new concepts? I think your freestyle idea is a good one NBTBL!
1 x

mr. nbtbl

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:41 am

Big thanks for the votes !!!
And big thanks for the collaboration to Granny David. Was a lot of fun to work with you!!!
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:06 am

Congrats you three!

personally I usually only do stbb's ..
one freestyle month could be cool.. but as a recurring thing I think it lacks structure/ boundaries.
1 x

B-Jam vs Enos

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:26 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:06 am
Congrats you three!

Ditto 8-)

one freestyle month could be cool.. but as a recurring thing I think it lacks structure/ boundaries.
Agreed.

Having very loose rules is fine so people can be more freestyle, but I think there at needs to be at least one main sample record provided by the previous winner to flip to provide some structure/boundary like Joa says.
1 x

JoaGymshoe

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:29 pm

I got asked some questions on the monthly
so to continue the brainstorming on this matter:

I'm not sure why the monthlies don't go that well.
personally they have less appeal to me too.
a month is just too long lol.
my entries have been so so when I did enter.
spent the same amount of time on them as weeklies ..or less.

no rules at all would make them not comparable enough imo.
however if there'd be one steady factor they'd have to have in common it would be enough imo.
for instance, use:
this hi hat in a special way
a saxophone sound
a bossanova rythm
a certain aca
or this sound to make a bassline out of.
1 x

mr. nbtbl

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:47 am

As i was the one asking...
here my thoughts....
The monthly battle is the same battle format like all the others i know... for example the STBB weekly, the SP, the MPC.

So i think there should be something completly different... The freestyle battle would be one way to do something different.
I think there are some people who especially love digging samples. And others who don't like to use samples at all.
Other thing would be that a lot of the forum members do cool music aside from the battles. So the monthly could be a place to show.

For comparability i don't know... Sometimes it's hard to compare the tracks of a battle even if we all flipped the same sample. And sometimes i find it hard to belive that we've all used the same sample. So it should be possible to vote just what you like... like the old radio top 100. call for your song ;)

But the freestyle battle is just one idea.
I think there are more ways to make the monthly special or at least different.

Hope for some ideas here.

peace
2 x

JoaGymshoe

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:43 am

how about just a theme?

a totally free- style battle could be a seperate battle.
2 x

mr. nbtbl

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:02 am

Yeah just a theme is cool. So the winner can give a general direction :)
2 x

Return to “Monthly Beat Battle”