Granny David

Behind the Beats: STBB #693 - Canoot

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:55 am

Interview with STBB Forever #693 Winner, canoot

Can you shortly introduce yourself?
Hi, I'm canoot, I'm 27 years old and I live in Hanover, Germany.

What was your first STBB entry?
My first entry was STBB625 as "konsorte1" (I changed my producer aka recently).

Can you tell us about your musical inspirations.. acts/ producers whathaveyou??
I'm highly influenced by boom bap, experimental- and lofi hiphop like DOOM, madlib, company flow, aesop rock, tribe, flylo, wu, kendrick and many more.
Also I'm collecting jazz records, mainly fusion jazz from the 60s & 70s like Herbie Hancock, Bob James, Gary Bartz, Miles Davis, Donald Byrd, Weather Report etc.
On top of that I like some electronic music, prog rock, soundtracks, funk and I'm always open for new musical genres and artists.

How did you learn to make beats, and do you play any instruments?
I started rapping ~11 years ago. At that time a friend of mine made the beats for our rap crew. He tought me some basics in ableton and at some point I started to make my own beats, roughly 7 years ago. I make my beats with ableton, I sample a lot, I have a korg monologue (a monophonic analogue synthesizer) with some effect pedals and sometimes I also record some guitar playing.

What equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) and production process did you use on this track?
For this track I used ableton as always. I flipped this bass/guitar as the main sample, added some kind of pad, which is also from the given samples and pitched the acapella down for some chops. Then I played an electronic bass and another sound with my monologue, added drums and took some crackle sound from the samples for more texture.

How did you make use of the sample?
The bass/guitar sample is pitched up a bit and then I flipped it and let it play through the whole track. The pad sample is also pitched and plays most of the time. Then there is the vocal chop, which is pitched down and has a delay effect on it. And the crackle which appears sometimes to make it a bit more interesting.

How did you go about the drum work?
I layered different kicks and snares from my drum library, added two different hihat sounds and some percussion. Interesting about the drums was that you weren't allowed to put snares on 2 and 4, so I put the snares a little bit off and since it is a pretty fast beat on 115bpm, I made a 4 on the floor-type drum pattern for the kick

Any recent projects/collabs going on?
You can listen to my latest EP on youtube or bandcamp:

And there's more instrumental stuff in the making, but also some new rap projects with friends of mine, which aren't quite finished yet.

Anything else you'd like to say?
I'm really glad that I found this community. A lot of very creative people here. I really appreciate the constructive criticism and all the work, the mods are putting into this.

peace
canoot
3 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”