Granny David

Behind the Beats: STBB #690 - NINDYO

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am

Interview with STBB Forever #690 Winner, NINDYO

Can you shortly introduce yourself?
My name is Nindyo. I come from Indonesia, but I am currently residing in Vienna, Austria (home of schnitzel, apfel strudel and classical music).

What was your first STBB entry?
My first STBB entry was STBB #683 – tribute to Bill Withers (rest in peace, legend). After hearing the sad news of his passing, we all came together to pay homage to him. After seeing multiple entries for #683, I thought to myself “yup, this community is filled with people who share similar interests and like dope music. I fu*k with them heavy”.

Can you tell us about your musical inspirations?
Oh man. This will be a long list, but long story short, J Dilla, 9th Wonder, Nujabes, Knxwledge, Madlib, FKJ, De La Soul, The Alchemist, Yussef Dayes etc. I do enjoy all kinds of music, it depends on what I’m feeling.

Right now, I’ve been listening to a lot of female artists. As a female producer, it’s dope to collaborate, support and build relationships with one another.

How did you learn to make beats, and do you play any instruments?
Music was always a part of my life, but I only started make beats in 2018. I was introduced to FL Studio by my boyfriend (thanks Brian!), who also makes beats. After watching tutorials and dedicating time to experiment FL Studio by myself, I became addicted. It became a part of my life ever since.

I was trained in playing piano for a couple of years, I play a bit of guitar and I sing as well. I would like to pick up a bass guitar and learn too.

What equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) and production process did you use on this track?
I used FL Studio, electronic plugins such as Helm, Dexed and u-HeTyrell N6. I put a lot of filters, compression, delay and reverb. I was listening to the samples thoroughly to see which parts I can incorporate together. I had set a mood and vision as a guide – which ended up being space and ‘cinematic’.

How did you make use of the sample?
I used a section from Stereolab throughout the first part. Initially, it was in compound time, but I sliced them into a 4/4-time signature. For the second part, I used two samples (by Stravinski and Jose Mauro) as the ‘calm down’ effect after the intense electronic/space vibe.

How did you go about the drum work?
I chopped the drums from a drum loop and created my own pattern. I increased the main swing for a natural non-quantized feel.

Are there any interesting aspects about the track you’d like to share?
The plugins I used are all free, which proves you do NOT need expensive plugins/equipment to make music!

Any recent projects/collabs going on?
For now, no. However, I am planning on creating a beat tape.

Anything else you'd like to say?
Thank you to the STBB community for voting for me. Again, this is one of the best forums to be a part of. I am constantly challenging myself as a beatmaker and always learning new things.
5 x

waxramble
GC90

Re: Behind the Beats: STBB #690 - NINDYO

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:38 am

Congrats on the win! It's nice to see some new faces around here, happy you found the community :)

What female artists are you listening to lately? Funny enough I've been listening to a lot of Stereolab lately, Lætitia Sadier's vocals are always so cool.
2 x

NINDYO

Re: Behind the Beats: STBB #690 - NINDYO

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:43 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have been listening to a lot of Her Songs (link below). They're a group of individually talented musicians too. My favorites are Emmavie and Marie Dahlstrom - you could get lost in their vocals! Also like that they produce some of their own songs :)

3 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”