STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Behind the Beats: STBB #669 - Saint Rock

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 am

Interview with STBB Forever Beat Battle #669 winner, Saint Rock

The Winner

- Congrats on this victory Saint Rock!

Can you shortly introduce yourself?

Saint Rock:

What up?! My real name is Rock Whittington. I'll be 40 years old in 2020! I'm a husband, son and brother. Father of 2 dogs and a cat. I live in Covington, LA just north of New Orleans, which is where I'm from. I've been doing music stuff since forever.

what was your first STBB entry?

stbb 237 was my first!

Can you tell us about your musical or other inspirations.. acts/ producers whathaveyou?

Saint Rock:
I'm inspired by every genre of music, art, and thought. I draw a lot of inspiration from anything that sounds new to me. I love novelty, and I always try to do or refine something new in my tracks.

How did you learn to make beats..and do you play any instruments?

Saint Rock:
I played classical piano and guitar first when I was really young, but I got a keyboard and a 4 track cassette tape recorder in 1994 when I was 14, and I just always messed around with beats for fun. I was a professional guitarist and played in bands for the better part of my music career, but it wasn't until I started with STBB that I really learned to make beats and produce. I learned a lot online, but mostly from producing every week and getting feedback from the STBB community... <3
nope, played the clarinet for half a year but that's nothing
consider my voice as my instrument.. but been rapping since I was about 12
sing a lil' too occasionally.. took a few lessons.

What equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) and production process did you use on this track?

Saint Rock:
I'm on vacation so I just had my laptop with Ableton and some bluethtooth speakers.

Aha, what do you usally use?

How did you make use of the sample?

Saint Rock:
Since it was no outside anything, I first had to find kick, snare, and hi hat sounds. Once I could make a drum beat knock a little, I started chopping and affecting the samples to get all the different layers. I used a good amount of gain/distortion on the sample to get the heavy sounds for the second part, and a lot of delay/reverb and filters to get the chill melodic parts. I just found sounds/chops i liked from the 3 samples and then pitched them until they went together.

How did you go about the drumwork?

Saint Rock:

I just made a basic midi pattern, and then once a few melodic elements got added, I tailored it more specifically to the flow of the beat. I've always programmed my own swing from scratch, but I've been having fun messing with the "grooves" feature in Ableton.

Are there any interesting aspects about the track you’d like to share?

Saint Rock:
Umm, I used an old rock band trick on the heavy second part, where the low staccato bass notes line up perfectly with the kick drum to make the beat punch. Also, I finished the beat without following the special rule of including a subliminal message, and I had to go back and add my voice after the fact.

That's trick works well!

Any recent projects/collabs going on?

Saint Rock:
I'm plotting on making an album this year, but I'm not sure if it will be a Saint Rock record yet. No major collabs going on currently.

Cool, any particular style in mind?

Anything else you'd like to say?

Saint Rock:

You can achieve your wildest dreams in music and life if you are willing to hustle and sacrifice whatever it takes, but nothing is more worth the effort than seeking inner peace.

STBB Forever!

Peace/\/\/
Rock

- Word! Thank you for this Q and A. Rock!

pz

--------------------------------------------------------
For more beat making related info head over to http://www.beatmakology.eu/category/interviews/
2 x

JoaGymshoe

Re: Behind the Beats: STBB #661 - Saint Rock

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm

hey Rock!..
I left some follow up questions in there for ya.
0 x

JoaGymshoe

Re: Behind the Beats: STBB #669 - Saint Rock

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:24 am

" Yo! My bad, Joa! The new year is getting busy now that I'm off vacation...

Here are my answers...

Aha, what do you usually use?:
Lately, I haven't had time to get too elaborate with the process or gear, but I usually like to play some real instruments, either guitars or my Juno 6, OP-1, and Minitaur, something! I mix/master on a couple of old Rockit 5's.

Cool, any particular style in mind?:
Too many styles! haha, I miss playing rock riffs on guitar and jamming with other musicians live, so I'm testing some rock/hip hop/electronica/world hybrid styles currently.

Hopefully, I'll be able to enter a few battles this yr. Take care my man!

PZ rock "
0 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”