JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Behind the Beats: STBB #654 - LOCKE1885

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Interview with STBB Forever Beat Battle #654 winner, LOCKE1885

The Winner

- Hi Locke, congratulations on your 2nd win!

Can you shortly introduce yourself to our readers?

Locke:
Yea I'm based in Los Angeles currently. I make beats for rappers n shit rn but always looking to create new sounds and explores different genres.

Cool..can you tell us about your musical or other inspiration.. acts/ producers whathaveyou?

Locke:
Ppl/bands I look up to:
KOAN Sound
Flying Lotus
Knxwledge
Madlib
Dilla (duh)
Justice
SebastiAn
Robert Glasper
Snarky Puppy
Tae Beast
Sounwave
Shlohmo
etc.

How did you learn to make beats..and do you play any instruments?

Locke:
I've played guitar for almost ten years now
I started making beats about 2.5 years ago,
But started making ones that weren't shite about 1 year ago
Dabble in piano but trying to improve

What equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) and production process did you use on this track?

Locke:
I use ableton, used to use FL studio for writing but now all ableton.

However I still use FL studio sometimes to warp/chop samples (really like the FPC in FL for this and haven't found something like it in ableton yet).

I just make an 8-16 bar loop I really enjoy and figure out how to build a track around that usually.

How did you make use of the sample?

Locke :
I mainly just used that really abrasive one to make something aggressive/angry sounding. It was a bit tough as I thought it sounded like shit for a while but just wanted to push through it.

How did you go about the drumwork?

Locke:
Drums were a bit tough tbh lol, I had to layer a lot of things together to make a suitable kick/snare.

Kicks were just processed combinations of sounds from the drum sample
Snare was a drum sample sound with layers from that weird clanky sample that I used a bunch of stuff from on the track (all heavily processed).

Are there any interesting aspects about the track you’d like to share?

Locke:
Eh not rly tbh. Just a cool creative exercise to not be able to use any of my own drums.

Any recent projects/collabs going on?

Locke:
You can check out some of my production work with my homie Caskey on "Black Sheep 4" as well as my production on this joint:

Otherwise I'm working on an album just by myself that will hopefully summarize everything I've learned/learning so far :)

Yooo, that shit is nice man!

- Thank for taking the the time to answer these questions man.. keep up the dopeness!

--------------------------------------------------------
For more beat making related info head over to http://www.beatmakology.eu/category/interviews/
1 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”