B-Jam vs Enos

Behind the Beats: STBB #633 Johnny North

Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 am

Interview with STBB Forever Beat Battle #633 winner, Johnny North

The Winner

* Can you shortly introduce yourself for our readers? Where are you based?

yooo it's ya lazy boy Johnny North, I currently reside in bristol, uk. Been about the whole uk though, living wise/hip hop wise.

* How did you learn to make beats? Do you play any instruments?

I used to rap and had no beats to rap to. here's an old rap tune :D

im also grade 5 theory on piano. i took me 5+ years to make drums that i like and an extra 5+ years to make a synth lead that doesnt sound like a demo reason track. shit takes time.

* What are your musical inspirations?

My inspiration is usually a bad day, I use to music to feel good, and that it does.

* What equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) and production process did you use on this track?

I use ableton. and i hate it. even thought it's legit the best daw out there, i always feel so fake using it trying to replicate sounds that arent hardware. but it will do for now.

* What was your approach to get started?

i struggled which is why i just found a nice chord and put it along my keyboard and played it that way, that's my process when i struggle to chop / not sound like everyone else, there is always another way.

* How did you go about the drums?

I've been gathering drumkits that i like for over 10+ years, many you cannot find anymore online. i try to use those because i know nobody has them. but drumwise I bring the snare forward always, swing the hihats by playing with no quantize and match the kicks against the bass. people forget that drums > bass go hand in hand. your kick drum has to mach the bass drum. pattern wise.

* How did you make use of the sample?

I said above but, i put the nicest chord along my keyboard and used my own melody.

* Did you stumble upon any difficulties?

Fkin always. I'm my own worst enemry with beats so im never happy, my difficulty was uploading, but it got good feedback lol.

* Are there any interesting aspects about the track you’d like to share?

yea. i was drunk.

* Any recent projects/collabs going on?

have an beat tape coming out, have a remic coming out for a very big artist who getting known in the LA scene, have a self released spotify tape coming out, and have a collab with a dope uk rapper coming out.

Peace and Love

----------------------------------------

Thanks for that. 8-)
3 x

waxramble
GC90

Re: Behind the Beats: STBB #633 Johnny North

Sat May 25, 2019 12:35 am

My inspiration is usually a bad day, I use to music to feel good, and that it does.
Feeling ya for sure here man.. this year has been a rough one so far but music keeps me going -- happy to have a community to be a part of too hearing all sorts of new sounds / dope music!

Sounds like ya got some sweet stuff in the works man, keep us posted when some of these things are out!!

Congrats on the win :salute:
1 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”