Interview with STBB Forever Beat Battle #633 winner, Johnny North
* Can you shortly introduce yourself for our readers? Where are you based?
yooo it's ya lazy boy Johnny North, I currently reside in bristol, uk. Been about the whole uk though, living wise/hip hop wise.
* How did you learn to make beats? Do you play any instruments?
I used to rap and had no beats to rap to. here's an old rap tune
im also grade 5 theory on piano. i took me 5+ years to make drums that i like and an extra 5+ years to make a synth lead that doesnt sound like a demo reason track. shit takes time.
* What are your musical inspirations?
My inspiration is usually a bad day, I use to music to feel good, and that it does.
* What equipment or software (DAW, VST’s etc) and production process did you use on this track?
I use ableton. and i hate it. even thought it's legit the best daw out there, i always feel so fake using it trying to replicate sounds that arent hardware. but it will do for now.
* What was your approach to get started?
i struggled which is why i just found a nice chord and put it along my keyboard and played it that way, that's my process when i struggle to chop / not sound like everyone else, there is always another way.
* How did you go about the drums?
I've been gathering drumkits that i like for over 10+ years, many you cannot find anymore online. i try to use those because i know nobody has them. but drumwise I bring the snare forward always, swing the hihats by playing with no quantize and match the kicks against the bass. people forget that drums > bass go hand in hand. your kick drum has to mach the bass drum. pattern wise.
* How did you make use of the sample?
I said above but, i put the nicest chord along my keyboard and used my own melody.
* Did you stumble upon any difficulties?
Fkin always. I'm my own worst enemry with beats so im never happy, my difficulty was uploading, but it got good feedback lol.
* Are there any interesting aspects about the track you’d like to share?
yea. i was drunk.
* Any recent projects/collabs going on?
have an beat tape coming out, have a remic coming out for a very big artist who getting known in the LA scene, have a self released spotify tape coming out, and have a collab with a dope uk rapper coming out.
Peace and Love
Thanks for that.