waxramble
GC90

Behind the Beats: STBB #617 – Granny David

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Interview with STBB Forever Beat Battle #617 winner, Granny David
Read more interviews on http://www.beatmakology.eu/category/interviews/

The Winning Track

Granny David is back at it again with another win since #612 -- He's been staying busy running some fun side battles recently - Royal Rumble and Carlos Devadip Santana, be sure to check these out for even more great music from the STBB community!

Congrats on your second win in just over a month -- The first battle of 2019! How are you feeling about the battles recently?

Granny: Thanks. I'm still enjoying them a lot. I've entered 25 consecutive weeks now and I've enjoyed every single challenge. Even if my entry sounds like crap!

Do you have any new year's resolutions?

Granny: My New Years resolution is 1080p.

What was your thinking on the dark side / light side concept for #617? Can you tell us more about your process for each of the flips for this beat?

Granny: Here are the rules set by Elan Vital:

Make two flips. Make one dark af - moody, nasty, dirty, you know the score. Let's call this the dark side - a beat which encapsulates all the fears and anxieties you, or anyone else, might have about the world we live in right now. Fill that dark energy into your beat and burn it...

Make another flip. Call this the light side. Make this as smooth, light and comforting as you can. Let this one reflect any hopes and positivity you might have for 2019

I followed the rules quite literally. My track begins with negative thoughts, a feeling that life isn't going anywhere. The 2nd part is supposed to remind us to appreciate our very existence and just be happy.

As for the musical side, I just arranged the samples I'd selected into the correct sequence to match the mood and narrative. I did the usual processing, equalising, chopping and stretching..to be honest, I can't really remember the complete process as I tend to disappear into a zone, so it's all a bit of a blur.

I was a big fan of both the concept and the samples EV provided for us. Big props!

Good stuff!! Any big plans for 2019 or anything else you'd like to share with us?

Granny: I plan to keep busy working on various music projects with many people in the stbb community. It should be a fun year!

Thanks for taking the time to chat GD, props again for all the dope stuff you're putting out there. Looking forward to all the great music to come in 2019!!

Interview by waxramble for STBB Forever and beatmakology.eu

--------------------------------------------------------

For additional content related to this interview and all things beat making head over to http://www.beatmakology.eu/category/interviews
1 x

Return to “STBB Winner Interviews”